Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kylegordon
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kyle Gordon

AWS Storage Gateway SMB mode as Shared Folder repository

Post by kylegordon »

Out of curiousity, has anyone tried this yet? The new version of AWS Storage Gateway has native SMB support and domain membership capability.

I'm currently using it to retire an old dumping ground server and archive it to S3, and it occurred to me that it might be usable with Veeam.

I'm sorely tempted to set up a new file share, and set up a Veeam Shared Folder CIFS/SMB repository on it to see what happens. Any early adopters there before me?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: AWS Storage Gateway SMB mode as Shared Folder repository

Post by ejenner »

A general point about AWS seems to be that it's very expensive to use with Veeam. But no idea what your situation is, maybe your organization has the money.

For archiving you'd normally use a tape or a USB disk or something like that? A one-off cost.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: AWS Storage Gateway SMB mode as Shared Folder repository

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kyle,

Generally we recommend using the StarWind VTL for AWS and Veeam or Amazon Gateway VTL in conjunction with backup to tape functionality in Veeam B&R. This seems to be a valid approach as backup to tape job can perform periodic synthetic full backup to split the forever forward incremental backup chains which eliminates the need of periodic transform operations. Cheers!