Azure BLOB in Veeam Backup & Replication

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Azure BLOB in Veeam Backup & Replication

Veeam Logoby Blacktronix » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello fellow Veeam administrators,

I was asked by a customer if it is possible to use VEEAM B&R directly with Microsoft Azure Storage... not StorSimple nor Veeam Cloud Connect... just simply the Azure Storage Blob...

Has anyone tried this yet or is it even possible?

Best Regards
Blacktronix
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: Azure BLOB in Veeam Backup & Replication

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi,

If somehow you manage to present Azure Storage as a drive/folder to any of your machines then you can use it as a repo. As far as I know that's not possible. The only realistic option in my opinion would be to attach a VHD being kept in storage to an existing azure VM and use that machine as a repo.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 241 times

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:45 am

There are different solutions to mount Azure Blob (and many other cloud storage solutions...) as a local drive in a system, but I would be REALLY careful on this. The way those disk drivers are designed is to be optimized for a multitude of small files like a regular file system. Veeam backups are basically, from a file system point of view, a small amount of very large files.
This creates issues to those disk drivers because their local cache running in memory is really limited, and because of this they always have to flush the content and read again so many times during a backup. The problem then is that this flush/reload needs to happen over the internet connection...

By the way, this is one of the reasons for Veeam dismissing the Cloud Edition, it was using such a technology and was able to scale to really few VMs. Cloud Connect was exactly designed, among other reasons, to overcome these limits.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1309 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

[MERGED] : Using Azure as a backup target?

Veeam Logoby quantum-it » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Is anyone familiar with using MS Azure as a backup target? We have a small environment (6-10 VMs) totaling about 150GB in backup space, so using 1TB of just raw cloud storage would seem to be a solid fit, but I wanted to make sure that there aren't any gotchas if I use just a raw block/blob of Azure storage for as my Veeam target, if there are any gotchas I should be looking for?

We have plenty of bandwidth at my location, so that's not going to be a bottleneck.
quantum-it
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Quantum IT

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:12 am

We don't support Azure blob storage natively. So, instead of blob you can use either Azure VM virtual disks or check our SPs database and find the one suiting your needs best. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 951 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:58 am

Hi all,

Just looking into this at the moment. What options do I have to store my Veeam GFS backup data in Azure? Is Blob supported somehow, or can I use Veeam Cloud Connect, any documentation around for that?

Cheers
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:36 am

Currently we don't support Blob storage however this has been announced to come in v10 with the archive tier. Currently you can create a machine within Azure and send data there but not to Blob storage. For more info in regards to v10 have a look at https://go.veeam.com/v10
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Engineer
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 322 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication