Back up a CIFS Share

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] : NAS File Server to Veeam Backup Job

Veeam Logoby LampchenKo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:51 am

Hi...

My case is as follows. I have a NAS-based File Server that I am backing up with another application since Veeam only works with virtual environments. I would like to know suggestions on how can I backup this File Server with Veeam B&R without having it to migrate to a Windows File Server. More accurate, I want to know if it is possible something like creating a new Windows or Linux server and make that server see the NAS as a Logical Disk or a Mapped disk and be able to back all up as a whole and be able to use Windows/Linux explorer to file lever recovery.

Please let me know your thoughts or if you need further explanation.

LampchenKo
Influencer

Liked: never

Re: NAS File Server to Veeam Backup Job

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:48 am

Hi,

As you've correctly pointed - Veeam only works with virtual environments. The only possible solution would be to attach your NAS LUNs to some Windows server (either physical or virtual) via iSCSI and install Veeam Endpoint Backup atop of it - some users reported that they were able to backup iSCSI volumes with Veeam Endpoint.

Another approach would be to use File Copy job to copy data from that NAS.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager

Liked: 225 times

Re: Back up a CIFS Share

Veeam Logoby LampchenKo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi PTide... Thanks for the response !

My target is to have this File Server backed up on an ExaGrid storage and be able to do a File Level recovery as needed. I guess my best option will be to migrate this NAS FS to a Windows FS.
LampchenKo
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:05 pm

In the way I see it, the best option will be indeed to map the said share to whatever Windows-based machine you have in your environment, install a VEB inside it, and let the latter backup the server to VB&R repository.

This way, not only will you have both physical and virtual machine backups in one place, but also you will be able to start the desired restoration procedure, using the console of VB&R server; quite convenient, as to me.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Product Manager

Liked: 892 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] backup VNX

Veeam Logoby cama » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Hello all,
I'm struggling with a solution for the following requirement and I didn't find an satisfying answer in documentation nor in the internet. We want to replace a backup solution that backs up a VNX via NDMP protocol with Veeam. The VNX acts as a normal NAS device and we need to be able to backup its data. What's the best way to archieve the backup of my NAS? Which possibilities are available? Thanks a lot in advance.
best regards
cama
Novice

Full Name: Mark N.

Re: backup VNX

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Mark,

There is no native support for NDMP, but you can try to use file copy jobs to transfer data from VNX box to the archival destination.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Liked: 1047 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: backup VNX

Veeam Logoby cama » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:57 am

Hello Vitaliy,
thanks a lot for your quick response. Sorry for my delay. Ok, I understodd. So there's definitly no other way, than trying to backup with a CIFS share.Thanks again,
br
Mark
cama
Novice

Full Name: Mark N.

Veeam Logoby nfoug75 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello, I cannot backup a Cfs Share. It is not possible for me.

It is good mapped on the server Veam, but when i do file copy job i cannot specify teh map drive CIFS , only my ESX server..

Please Help me .

N.
nfoug75
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nicolas FOUGEROUX

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi Nicolas, provided you have Veeam B&R v9 Update 1 installed, you should be able to select UNC paths as source for the file copy job. Base v9 release didn't allow that (known issue).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1013 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby nfoug75 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Ok well see. i'st works like this.
Now how to do an incremental ? with Jobs File copy ? i can see this top ? ..

Secondary how to restore the file i don't see how to do.

Thx. to all
nfoug75
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:37 am

File copy job are not incremental and copies entire files during each run (so always full). Not sure I understand the restore question - files are stored as they are, so you just copy the required file from the target location.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1013 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby nfoug75 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:59 pm

OK. But it is the only solution to backup shared CIFS. with file Copy ...

So how can i do a incremental backup for Shared CIFS because i cannot save 1 T everydays ... It is not possible ...

I dop not understand that Veam don't think about that to allow incremental for Shared CIFS...

Plesase HELP
nfoug75
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:37 pm

So how can i do a incremental backup for Shared CIFS because i cannot save 1 T everydays ... It is not possible ...
Then File to Tape job seems to be the only suitable option for you.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Liked: 225 times

Veeam Logoby nfoug75 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Good, but how can i connect my tape drive ? i have a PV124T dell robotic library in SAS connection ? how can i connect to the vm ?

Please help me , perhaps i can connect via SAS conection on the ESXI ? and after how can i declare it ?
Thx to help me ..
nfoug75
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Assuming the library is connected to a Windows server via SAS, you can designate that Windows server a tape server within B&R. Once that's done you should be able to see the library including its drives & slots (you'll want to install the Dell drivers for the drives within the library). After that you should be able to perform a files to tape job to backup your CIFS shares to the library.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication