Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1380 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backing up Always On MSSQL with Veeam

Post by foggy » May 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Javier, please review some feedback above, should answer your questions to some extent.

Havgon
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Javier Gonzalez

Post by Havgon » May 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Thank you

johannesk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

[MERGED] Backing up node SQL AlwaysON - one backupjob multip

Post by johannesk » Nov 30, 2017 9:32 am

hi,

I've been backing up SQL server AlwaysON systems with a single backup job. Thus the same job backing up all the nodes in the availability group to the same repository.

I notice that the backup job realizes what node is active and tends to do log backups and log truncation on the active node.

Now I'm wandering, would it introduce any problems if I use one backupjob per node instead of one job with all the nodes. Is there something with Veeam that says if you are backing up AlwaysON that all the nodes need to belong to the same backup job? If so, I don't find it. And if it's not so I'm considering changing the backup strategy and have multiple backupjobs for AlwaysON systems.

regards,
Johannes

v.Eremin
Veeam Software
Liked: 1146 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by v.Eremin » Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am

Kindly, check the answers above as well as the corresponding section of our online Help Center. Thanks.

johannesk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk » Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am 1 person likes this post

Well this thread is long and has information that might be outdated. At least it's telling mixed advices such as:

"Veeam support advised me not to backup both SQL nodes with the same job."

and

"...best practice is to place both nodes into a single job for proper transaction logs handling. That said, failover during snapshot operation is not something Veeam B&R can handle, since it is purely environmental thing (depends on infrastructure and underlying hardware). In order to avoid failover, some fine-tuning may be required."

I'm posting this question so that we can all have a solid answer from Veeam. Pointing to this thread with mixed advice is only confusing.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1380 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Dec 11, 2017 4:17 pm 1 person likes this post

johannesk wrote:"Veeam support advised me not to backup both SQL nodes with the same job."
This most likely was a recommendation that was given prior adding SQL Always On support to Veeam B&R. Current best practice is to put all nodes into a single job.