Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

Backing up AND Replicating servers?

Post by dtwiley »

Hi,

I've not tried this for a while but I knew the answer a few years back was that you couldn't do this, but wondered if someone could help.

We'd like to replicate servers in site A to site B but also have backups in site B too of the same servers, is there a way of doing this so that we don't double up on storage or do they still go into different parts of the remote repository?

Also, if the replication has spent all day sending changes to the remote site, when the backup runs can it pull these from the replica so it doesn't have to retransmit the blocks, or does it have to go back to the source and send them over again? I can see how you can seed a backup at the start using local data but its not clear if this is something which can be made permanent.

I'm basically trying to A). reduce storage requirements a the remote end and B). reduce the backup window when the days changes will have already been replicated to the remote site in the replica.

I'm assuming we can run backups of servers which are being replicated of course or is a better approach to just have more rollback points on the replicas and consider them backups?

Dave
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Re: Backing up AND Replicating servers?

Post by mbroaders »

You could use the replica from backup option so that you dont need to retransmit the data. You would still need storage for the replicas that hypervisor can access for the replicas and storage for the backup repository though.

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ackup.html
dtwiley
Enthusiast

Post by dtwiley »

thanks, but how does that help if i'm only backing up daily but need replicas every hour, i'd need to backup from replica rather than replica from backup?
dtwiley
Enthusiast

Post by dtwiley »

am I right in saying that replica from backup only works if the backups are more frequent than replicas? if so, isn't that the wrong way around?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Dave, yes, you are correct, it doesn`t make a lot of sense to replicate from backup files if replica job is more frequent than backup job.
Otherwise you can just backup replica VMs on the DR site locally.
More relevant info can be found in this topic.
Thanks.