Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: Backing up Exchange 2010 - How to truncate logs?

Post by Cokovic »

Yes thats possible. It will just leave you with two full backup files for some time on your repository (depends on the amount of retention points you've set in your job).
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Post by Dave-Departed » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

This appears to have resolved itself, and the Exchange logs are being truncated, following a successful Veeam backup.

Thanks for all your help!

Dave
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Truncate exchange logs with DAG

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

The backup job on the Exchange used to truncate the logs (application-ware checked) but since the other IT folks in my dept started to work on the the DAG setup, the truncate of the exchange logs is not working. The DAG has not been successfully set up so I am suspecting it might be the cause based on the readings on the this forum that I have read. Can somebody confirm.

I have 2 exchange 2010 servers in the job.

Thanks,
TT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Can you please tell us if you have any error messages in the Windows Event log that could shed some light on why logs are not truncated?

Thank you.
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by trackstar »

Vitaliy,

The guys were able to setup the DAG (I think) and now the backup clears up the logs. I will pay close attention to the backup and re-post if it occurs again.

Just curious, do most of you also backup the second server of the DAG? I talked to a Veeam support and he told me it doesn't hurt or is needed (either way).

Thanks again Vitaliy.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well...I agree, that there is no need to backup both nodes, but you can further search these forums for more details on how our existing customers are backing up their Exchange servers (DAG setup).