Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwiseley
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Wiseley

Backing up large File server and breaking into chuncks

Post by mwiseley »

:!: Our main file server consists of multiple drives and totals close to 5 TB. We also use Windows Server 2012R2 File deduplication which works great and has saves us a ton of space. However, in an attempt to back this server up using Veeam and then doing a backup copy job across our WAN to the DR, I have not been able to be successful. The backup copy job always end up failing. The last time I made it o the last drive after 140 hours and it failed. Anyway, my thought is to create a single job, but add the server multiple times to the job and have it do each drive independently? I know that may make the restore a little more difficult and the data will not all be the same point in time, but it is a file server, so that is not a big issue. Having a good backup is most important. Has anyone attempted this? Is it doable? Is there a better option?

Thanks,
Mark
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Backing up large File server and breaking into chuncks

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mark, I recommend investigating the failure with support, because the approach you are thinking about means hitting the production VM with the snapshots 5 times, and is generally too much hassle anyway. On the other hand, failure is not normal no matter of VM size (and 5TB is not too big VM anyway). Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The backup copy job always end up failing. The last time I made it o the last drive after 140 hours and it failed.
Hi, Mark,

If the given backup copy job can't finish within reasonable time interval, then, you might try to seed it first. The description of the seeding procedure can be found here.

Thanks.
mwiseley
Influencer

Post by mwiseley »

Thanks. We currently seed one of our other larger 9 TB servers but was hoping we could do this one without a seed. I would be nice if Veeam added an option to finish one drive at a time. That would allow you to successfully do one drive at a time. Maybe we just exclude all other drives from the job then add them in one at a time?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark,

Do you mean exclude these disks from the source job and then add them one-by-one back to the job to allow backup copy job transfer all the data? Seems like a bit complex process, I agree with Anton on the advice to investigate reasons of the failure with our support team.

As an alternative, you can pre-seed your backup copy jobs by physically shipping all backup files to the offsite location.

Thanks!
mwiseley
Influencer

Post by mwiseley »

We currently seed for one of our other servers and that may be the best option. I will attempt again shortly and see if I can get it to succeed and if not check with support and may end up seeding this as well. Was just hoping I could get it to go.

Thanks for the input.