Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mduffin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mick Duffin

Backing up Oracle on Windows Server

Post by mduffin »

Hi,

We currently perform one full server backup per year when the database is closed ( Cold Backup ) which includes all the database files etc...then on a nightly basis we back up our oracle 19c database using RMAN and the backup files are stored on the server in the 'flash recover area' which is then copied to tape.. then if we need to restore the server we can restore the yearly backup to restore the database structure and then use RMAN to restore the database to the latest backup... which we've tested numerous times and it works for us, this was using Backup Exec..

Now we are moving to Veeam I'm just looking for the method that is recommended, I'd still like to perform the backup with RMAN as i like the flexibility of this and it also allows us quite easily to restore the data on our Test system from our Live system ( only our Live database is backed up )

Does anyone backup using this method and can give me some pointers...

Can Veeam backup the database files without causing corruption?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mick.
mduffin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mick Duffin

Re: Backing up Oracle on Windows Server

Post by mduffin »

Forgot to mention this is a physical server not a VM.

Mick.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backing up Oracle on Windows Server

Post by PetrM »

Hello Mick,

You can protect the database server by image-level backup in a similar was as you used to do it. I assume you that let RMAN to take care of logs so just select "Do not delete archived logs" setting and disable "Backup logs every:" in this step of backup job configuration wizard.

Also, I recommend to consider Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN which enables Oracle database backups to Veeam repositories.

Thanks!