Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Backing up virtualized vCenter in 6.5

Post by jadams159 »

Hi everyone,

I've been using Veeam to backup my vitualized vCenter server since v. 6, but since 6.5 I've noticed something that I did not think occurred in version 6. I've added the ESXi host that vCenter runs on by IP and created a specific backup job, the job completes fine. If I migrate the vcenter server temporarily and put it back on the host, the job fails and it can't find the VM. "Task failed Error: Object RJC-VC not found."

Was this the case in 6.0 as well and I just didn't notice this?

If this is normal behavior and I have to re-add the vCenter VM to the job every time it is moved and returned to the host, how does this affect the dedupe of the data? I'm using local stores on the Veeam proxy leveraging reverse incrementals.

Thanks.
ThomasMc
Veteran
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Thomas McConnell

Re: Backing up virtualized vCenter in 6.5

Post by ThomasMc »

Version 7 will hopefully resolve this age old issue but in the mean time have look over this thread http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9301
jadams159
Enthusiast
Full Name: Justin Adams

Post by jadams159 »

Holy cow that looks like a lot of work.
jgrote
Influencer
Full Name: Justin Grote

Post by jgrote » 1 person likes this post

It's really not that bad. Just add the vSphere host that vcenter resides on using a different name or IP (all the names are short in my vcenter, so I use the FQDN, e.g. myserver.mydomain.com instead of just myserver). Then back up vCenter as normal from that host. It helps to set a DRS VM to Host affinity rule to keep vCenter on that host so it doesn't move and cause problems.