Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SignalSeeker
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Backup a single VM from a backup job

Post by SignalSeeker »

Hello all,

I have VBR v11.0.11261.

I have a backup job that is backing up 4 VMs without issue.

If I am going to make a lot of changes to a server, can I run just the one VM from the backup job?

That way it is still mingled with the normal job but can be restored to out of schedule.

Or is it a all or nothing kind of deal.

I took a look and didn't see how that is possible, or wrong search terms.

Thank,
Justin
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Backup a single VM from a backup job

Post by Regnor »

This is what Quick Backup is for. You can create an incremental backup for a single VM in a backup job.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
SnakeSK
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by SnakeSK »

You cannot specify which job this applies to unfortunately
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

@SnakeSK may I ask you to elaborate a bit more on why you need to know to which job it applies? The purpose is to create a backup of a specific VM out of schedule and it seems that Quick Backup perfectly solves this problem. Also, I guess you don't process the same VM by different jobs, that's why I'm trying to assess the value of the request.

Thanks!
SnakeSK
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by SnakeSK » 1 person likes this post

PetrM wrote: Jan 02, 2023 11:28 am @SnakeSK may I ask you to elaborate a bit more on why you need to know to which job it applies? The purpose is to create a backup of a specific VM out of schedule and it seems that Quick Backup perfectly solves this problem. Also, I guess you don't process the same VM by different jobs, that's why I'm trying to assess the value of the request.

Thanks!
e.g. we currently have Case #05770080 open which involves corrupted Hyper-V Metadata upon backup when we are backing up VMs with vTPMs (not shielded VMs however), these machines fails to start with generic error on SureBackup verification, quickbackup processes only latest job, however we were able to work around it, also another use case would be quick backup to offsite location or rotated hard drive. And yes, we have 3 jobs for nearly same VMs targeting different repositories (of various types), with different retention, GFS policies, underlying storage etc.

Good solution would be opening the same dialog as VeeamZIP does :)