Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
satchmo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony

Backup & Replication Community Edition 9.5.4b

Post by satchmo »

:evil: This has got to be the worst backup program I have ever seen. (You are better off using [advertisement] - at least it works)
I think that someone called Gostav has been complaining about this latest version of Veeam but I could not locate his post.

1) Running the setup.exe causes the splash screen to display. Click on yes to allow the app to make changes to your device
Nothing else happens.
Try 100 x literally
finally it worked and the backup and replication program could be installed.
Unable to run it again to install the Enterprise Manager program.
Tried downloading the iso again. Burned to dvd. No go.
Virtual cd drive did not work
Copied the setup files from the dvd to a hard drive. Still no go.
Ran as administrator.

2) Finally worked out how to create a backup job.
Apply now button seems to push the policy to the relevant computer with a success message. However there is a missing start button
When applying the policy it does nothing but say it is running and then stops.
No backup files can be seen anywhere.

I have never seen a program which is so frustrating to use such as Veeam's programs.

Is the community edition capable of doing anything.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: BACKUP AND REPLICATION COMMUNITY EDITION 9.5.4b

Post by wishr »

Hi Anthony,

First of all, welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

Before going into the details and clarifications, I'd like to mention that we see great value in any feedback provided by our customers, so thank you for reporting it.

Now to the clarifications.

Regarding point one, most likely it's an environment-specific issue (maybe an AV or some difficulty on the OS layer). For me personally it takes less than a second to launch the setup.exe UI of B&R 9.5 Update 4b ISO. You may confirm it by running the setup on a clean machine with no AV software installed and all windows updates applied - it should do the trick. If not you can always reach out to our technical support to track down the root cause and eliminate it. Yes, it is possible even if you run a free Veeam product - you are provided with best-effort support in such cases.

Speaking about backup job creation, I assume you'd like to back up a physical machine with Veeam Agent. If so, please take a look at this guide - it should shed the light on the overall configuration procedure. Long story short, you should create a protection group, then configure a backup job (example for a Windows machine is here) that will run automatically with a required schedule.

Thanks and hope it helps.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: BACKUP AND REPLICATION COMMUNITY EDITION 9.5.4b

Post by soncscy » 2 people like this post

People still have physical DVD drives in 2019? :)

Anthony, you are making this way harder than it has to be; every single normal technical shortcut exists in Veeam. (i.e., if you press F1 while on a given screen, the relevant help document appears, just like in Windows)

I'm usually the last person to tell people rt[friendly]m, but this is like 2 minutes of just checking what you need to do. Looking at the suggested alternative, it's funny you mention this because I'm looking and looking and I wonder "where is the darned User Guide?" (found it only after going to the purchases page) and also "how is this better than rsync?".

Like, I usually don't fanboy too much on software since it's all a bunch of for-profit junk, but if all you want is rsync capabilities, why bother paying for it or using some closed-source non-sense?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Backup & Replication Community Edition 9.5.4b

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

satchmo wrote: Sep 04, 2019 9:27 amI think that someone called Gostav has been complaining about this latest version
Here to confirm my feedback was the opposite of complaining. Support metrics make it really hard for me to complain about this release!
satchmo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony

Post by satchmo »

I finally got it going. Splash screen from the dvd still not working properly. I had already knocked out Nortons anti-virus but to no avail.

The issue :

1) I tried to change the ip address of a laptop with the agent on it and I ended up receiving an error message that the same bios uuid exists on another ip address and the backup job was aborted. I had to change the laptop back to the original ip address that it had.
How can I change the ip address of a workstation without receiving these conflicting bios uuid messages.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

How your machine has been added? Through AD or individually using DNS/IP?

Basically, you have to reflect the IP change in your DNS server/protection group settings, depending on how the machine has been added. Ideally, you have to use hostnames instead of IP addresses when adding objects manually since IP changes are always expected.
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

You sound like [lack of IT experience] (edited by moderator)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

OK folks, just to remind: this is not Reddit :D let's try to remain polite, professional and contribute to discussions meaningfully.