Backup and restore of custom attributes?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Backup and restore of custom attributes?

Veeam Logoby skayser » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi,

we are using vCenter based custom attributes in our VMware environment and it seems these are not backed up and restored with a VM (v5.0.2.230, custom attributes of a restored VM are simply blank). I searched the forum and found no relevant hits for 'custom attribute(s)' or 'custom field(s)'. How do people handle the restore of their custom attributes (other than manually re-entering them)?

Gostev, Vitaliy, any plans to support this with VBR (apart from managing the custom attributes via Business View). Or is this feature already included and I am simply missing a checkbox somewhere?

Sebastian
skayser
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian Kayser

Re: Backup and restore of custom attributes?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi Sebastian, I will check with development why we are not including custom attributes in VM configuration backup. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2361 times

Veeam Logoby skayser » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Gostev, any success gathering infos on the custom attributes backup situation?
skayser
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Sebastian, yes - it appears that custom attributes are simply not store with VM configuration (VMX file) that we backup, which is why they are not backed up and restored with VM. We would have to implement separate new functionality to pull custom attributes from vCenter, store them with the VM backup, and then restore them to vCenter. Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2361 times

Veeam Logoby skayser » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 am

Yes, custom attributes are purely VC-based and their inclusion into the backup/restore of VBR is exactly what we would be looking for. Maybe others too? If so, please chime in. Currently, we need to keep track of custom attributes ourselves and restore them separately after a VBR restore. Ideally, VBR would do this for us.
skayser
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:11 am

Sebastian, let me chime in here. If you're using custom attributes heavily, have you considered using Business View? With BV you would be able to create dynamic groups that will categorize all new VMs automatically, there will be no need to track all the VI changes manually.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1117 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby rbrambley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:12 am

You may be able to use the free Veeam Business View to help here. BV creates Categories and groups for your VMs. You can then place your VMs in these groups automatically (like Outlook email rules). Placement of VMs in groups auto creates custom attributes. VMs can be placed manually too, of course.

You can install BV, connect vCenter to it, and then it will ask you what to do with your existing custom attributes. So, you could create new categories and groups based on your existing ones. or you can manually import and, in the future export, custom attributes. Business View also provides nice web dashboards to help you report on your groups and even provide "show back info".

A restored VM would (ideally) automatically fall into it's appropriate cats and groups thus restoring the custom attributes. Worst case would be you manually place the restored VM in the right Cat/Group.

Check out Business View! It's free! http://www.veeam.com/vmware-business-view.html

It's primarily used to enhance Veeam Monitor and Veeam Reporter, but it seems like their is some value here for your backup scenario.
rbrambley
Veeam Software

Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Veeam Logoby rbrambley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 am

Vitaliy S. wrote:Sebastian, let me chime in here. If you're using custom attributes heavily, have you considered using Business View? With BV you would be able to create dynamic groups that will categorize all new VMs automatically, there will be no need to track all the VI changes manually.

you got me by 1 min!
rbrambley
Veeam Software

Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Veeam Logoby JuA » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 am

Hi,

6 years since last post. I just made a test, and the custom attributes are still not backed-up/restored (Veeam 8 + vCenter6.5. I know, it's not a supported setup).

Can you confirm that the feature doesn't exist ?

Best Regards,

Julien
JuA
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Julien A

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi Julien,

Yes, custom attributes are not backed up.
However, you can backup and restore VMs that are using vSphere tags. Keep in mind though that to restore a vSphere Tag, you need to restore VM to the original vCenter Server. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication