Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Re: Backup appliance (Data Domain vs Exagrid vs Quantum DXi)

Post by Delo123 »

Nice article, but then again it's only Marketing.... Nobody is talking about actual restore Speeds etc... Here lies the biggest issue as this is mostly slow as most appliances have a limited amount of disks...
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

bg.ranken wrote: ...
Even if they are over 2TB they can still be good candidates for two reasons:
-They are supported by Microsoft.
Do you have any reference for files over 1TB being supported? My research only turns up the 1TB number.
bg.ranken wrote: And remember, if for any reason you still do not want to dedupe the 2TB files you can simply exclude the folders for your file servers from the deduplication, you'll still be gaining space from the remaining files on the disk that are being deduped.
That's true. But things would still work better if Veam would allow me to set a split size instead of forcing the size to be an entire job or VM.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

You will find no reference according to files >1TB as this is what microsoft says. However multiple users including me have been using files much bigger than 1TB (upto 10TB) for years now with Microsoft Dedup. The only "Issue" is that the bigger a file gets it takes longer to dedupe, that's why we split up our repositories in multiple volumes to be able to run the dedup jobs in parallel...

Splitting up backup files in chunks is on my list for a long time, acronis supports it by default (it's just a checkmark and value) but veeam doesnt.
However Veeam has proven to be far superior (to us) in all other things vs acronis so we stick to veeam :) But yes, it's still a major wish, it would also be much more easy to copy files to other (archiving) locations as copying multiple files instead a single big one has multiple obvious advantages...
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

+1 RE: backup.master's article; very respectfully, to me it immediately smacked of marketing hype (and I'm looking at you, EMC! haha), and my experience has turned out quite the opposite of their claims. Our DD's have been atrociously unreliable, our Dell DR4100's much better (though still not perfect), and total overall numbers are nearly identical at ~86-88% real-world reduction using Saturday full/weekday incremental. At that, per what limited best-practices I can find, the only difference in our Veeam configs are enabling deduplication in job settings for the DR's but disabling deduplication in the job settings for DD's.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

You will love v9 scale out repositories then. No more wasted free space, enable the use of comodity hardware and enterprise one in a smart way without having to overthink the whole setup.
You will also have per VM backup file for use with Dedupe appliances for example.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023