Backup Copy configuration confusion!

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Backup Copy configuration confusion!

Veeam Logoby Trin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi,

I'm just trying to get my head round backup copy jobs, and the different files they produce but what I'm after is the best way to set up a backup copy job so that what I'm left with is one full backup file, at the end of each month, that I can then send offsite. I don't think I want a chain for these, I want to be able to look at each month independently, if necessary... if that makes any sense?!

Do I just need to set "Restore points to keep" to 12 and then "Keep the following restore points as full backups for archival purposes" to "Monthly backup: [12] Last Sunday of the month" or are those two settings for different things?

Many thanks
Trin
Influencer

Liked: never

Re: Backup Copy configuration confusion!

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:47 pm

You can set regular chain retention ("Restore points to keep" setting to any value (the minimum one is 2), GFS restore points (weekly, monthly, etc.) are not dependent on the regular chain.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1060 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Trin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 am

So in my example ("Restore points to keep" to 12 and then "Keep the following restore points as full backups for archival purposes" to "Monthly backup: [12] Last Sunday of the month"), after 6 months the Backup Copy job folder will contain a chain of 1 .vbk + 11 .vib files and an additional 6 separate .vbk files, one for each month?
Trin
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby skrause » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:58 pm

No, you would have 1 .VBK + 11 .VIB files for the normal chain that runs daily, then you would have and additional 12 .VBK files for your GFS retention.

If you are just shooting for GFS retention once a month and don't care about keeping anything else, set your "Restore points to keep" to 2. You will then have 1 .VBK and 1 .VIB file on disk for the active backup copy process and it will create/store 12 more .VBK files for your GFS retention policy on the last Sunday of each month.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
skrause
Expert

Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication