Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Guido
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido

Backup copy design question

Post by Guido »

We have a backup repository created on the backup sever connecting to a ISCSI nas in another building to store the backup copies. Between the buildings there is 1Gb connection. I configured this repository with a Limit combined data ingestion rate of 15MB/s. Transformation task takes long.
If I setup a new windows server in the same building besides the ISCSi NAS and create the repository on this server. Will this server run the transformation task? Will there be less trafic between the buildings? Is the Limit combined data ingestion rate limit of 15MB/s used during the transformation task?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy design question

Post by foggy »

Guido, transformation is performed locally by the repository agent, so, in cases where the agent cannot be installed on NAS, assigning this role to a Windows server will definitely give you performance increase. Also, transformation activity is affected by the ingestion rate, so you could first try to increase it to see if the limit is the issue.
Guido
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido

Post by Guido »

Hi foggy, I tried what you suggested and changed the ingestion rate to unlimited. On the nas I see more disk usage and network trafic. About 50% more. I don't think the ingestion limit is my main performance problem.
There are 4 copy transformation jobs running on this repository now. Can this be the problem?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sure, your NAS might not be capable of handling multiple I/O intensive tasks. You can try to stagger the jobs for them not to be performed simultaneously or add a proxying Windows server for your repository, as you described above.