Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Backup Copy Failing - File Corrupt

Post by evander »

Hi All - Its not often I have problems with Veeam but I have got one now I hope you can provide guidance on.

One of my Backup Copy Jobs ran out of disk space recently and obviously failed. I added additional disk space when I got back to the office and let it continue as normal and did not make any other changes hoping it would just pickup where it left off. I have let it run for the past week or so hoping that it would work its way clean again as I know it does health checks normally once a week or so.

Unfortunately it didn't and I still get the following error messages:

Failed to merge full backup file. Terminated at ...
Failed to create synthetic full restore point ...
Failed to generate points Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Failed to read data from the file ...

I still get "Green" Statuses on the job email for each individual virtual server but overall the job says it failed.
Looking at the files in the repository it has a .temp file and a bunch of Vib files along with one .Vbk file plus the couple of Monthly and Weekly .vbk files that are already there as per the retention policy.

So, how do I go about fixing or if not fixing, killing the existing job and starting again but without affecting my Weekly and Monthly historical copies? At the moment I am only keeping 5 restore copy Points and then a couple weekly and monthly and 1 quarter and 1 year points. I am in the process of procuring a larger repository to hold more space but for now that is all I have.
So if I have to delete the latest full copy plus incrementals for the last 5 plus days that's not the end of the world as these are my 3rd copies of the weekly backups besides the proper backups I run every night.
I cant see a way to delete the copy backup job disk files without affecting my historical weekly and monthly copy backup files..

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Failing - File Corrupt

Post by foggy »

I'd check whether the health check for this job is scheduled and make sure it runs (if it didn't run so far).

I'd also suggest you to contact technical support, they will be able to advise on the best way to recover from this situation. Looks like one of the files is corrupt, so depending on whether the entire chain is recoverable or not, the actions might differ. Your GFS points, in their turn, should be fine, since are stored independently of the regular chain.
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by evander »

Thanks Foggy.
Can I ask what is probably a stupid line of questioning but... if I had to just manually delete the latest corrupt VBK and associated VIBs what would the consequence be? I know its heavily advised against but if that particular chain is unimportant and if I can afford to lose, and the weekly and monthly would not be affected (?), would deleting those files just initiate a new full copy or would it break everything?
I deserve to be flamed for asking this question I'm sure, but curious

EDIT [added text] - with regards the Health Check, I have changed it from once a month to Weekly and set it too Monday and Tuesday. Today is Monday but not sure what would trigger it to fire so I set it for today and tomorrow just to make sure to catch it.

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you use the Remove from Disk command and remove all the regular backup copy chain, it will initiate a new full copy during the next cycle. However, this will also remove GFS points, so I'd first copy them somewhere for a while (you can remove them once the new chain gets enough points).