Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Strecker25
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan Strecker

Backup copy from multiple jobs

Post by Strecker25 »

I need to do a backup copy of a large VM to a DR site. The VM is backed up via two jobs. One runs every 4 hours, using storage snapshots (the data is on NFS datastores) the other job runs once a night (data is on FC LUN's)

I created the backup copy job and added the VM using the "add from infrastructure" option. The copy job is only copying the disks from Job 1, and not the disks from Job 2.

Am I doing something wrong in config? I found this in the documentation.

"Veeam Backup & Replication does not necessarily use a backup created by one job and one backup
repository as a source of data. It can copy VM data from backups created by different jobs and even
from different backup repositories. When you set up a backup copy job, you only define what VM(s)
you want to process. During the backup copy job, Veeam Backup & Replication searches for the most
recent restore point in all available backup repositories, copies data blocks from it and saves them to a
backup file on the target backup repository. "
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy from multiple jobs

Post by foggy »

Hi Ryan, could you please elaborate on what is your goal? What do you want to copy? With this setup, backup copy job will search for the latest restore point in both repositories.
Strecker25
Enthusiast

Post by Strecker25 »

I need to copy a minimum 1 restore point for that entire VM over to our DR location (CIFS Share). Replication does not work, it throws an error because not all disks are backed up by one backup job.

Instead I built a backup copy job to copy the backup of that VM to our DR site. It is running properly, but not copying the backups for the vmdk's that are backed up by the second job.

"Hi Ryan, could you please elaborate on what is your goal? What do you want to copy? With this setup, backup copy job will search for the latest restore point in both repositories."

The latest restore point in both repositiries would be perfect, but it's only sending data from 6 of the 8 vmdk's to the backup copy target.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ah, missed the fact you're backing up different disks of this VM in separate jobs. I do not think this should work then.
Strecker25
Enthusiast

Post by Strecker25 »

Even with the backup copy job?

That being said, I could even have two backup copy jobs. One to copy the disks from job 1, the second to copy the disks from job 2.

When I try to go that route, I create a backup copy job and select "from backups..." as the source. Selecting Job #2 as the source still results in the copy being performed for Job #1's disks.
Strecker25
Enthusiast

Post by Strecker25 »

I take that back. For some reason modifying the existing backup copy job was exhibiting this behavior. I created a totally new backup copy job and added "From jobs.." and selected backup job #2 and it seems to be running properly.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With two copy jobs targeted each to its respective backup job, they will copy the corresponding disks just fine. What I meant was no possibility to combine the disks back into a single backup of the entire VM.
Strecker25
Enthusiast

Post by Strecker25 »

Gotcha. We would likely not fire this backup copy up at the DR site since it is so large, but if we had to: I would assume I could do an instant virtualization of the primary (job #1) and then attach the vmdk from backup copy job #2?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is possible. Though be aware of possible issues caused by the fact that two backups were not performed at the same time.