Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Backup Copy Job >24 hours duration

Post by ferrus »

Could somebody verify the current behaviour, on one of my Backup Copy Jobs:

We have a BCJ for our three Exchange servers (using Windows Agent/B&R on the parent Backup Job), that is over 64TB in size.
There is a full backup at the weekend, which is read from the source backup - rather than synthesized from previous backups.

Lately I've noticed the Full BCJ has been spilling over from Monday morning, into Monday evening, then Tuesday.
On close inspection, at 00:00 everyday, when the new interval starts - it is creating a brand new incremental .vib backup - instead of resuming the current .vbk file.

Is this the usual behaviour?

I haven't paid close attention to the job for a long time, but I was always under the impression that it kept the same backup file going until it finished - and didn't break off into multiple separate .vib files to complete.
This has left me with a few weeks of Incomplete Full backups, after months of Successful Fulls.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job >24 hours duration

Post by foggy »

The behavior seems expected, in case it is not able to complete full backup within the interval, it will try to catch up all the missing blocks during the next interval but it will be a new incremental backup file.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

Is there an automatic rollup into the vbk at some point - eg. when the .vib files expire and are deleted?
Otherwise, I don't understand why I've had months and months of successful .vbk files on the storage and three weeks of Incomplete .vbks.

Two things stand out: Around the same time as the issue appeared we did the update to the latest Veeam version, and we also ran low on our BCJ storage.
So it could coincide with the new version - or our staff manually deleting the .vib files prematurely to free up space (if the .vib files do indeed get rolled up).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, while the retention for the VIBs comes in, the blocks are merged into the corresponding VBKs and deleted. I'd try to avoid fulls spill over to the next interval by optimizing the setup - look at the bottleneck to get the idea of where to look at first. Deleting VIBs manually would lead to worse issues so this is unlikely. Upgrade could affect backup performance depending on the setup - you could compare the bottleneck stats before and after to verify whether this was the reason.