Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
okrehan
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Oliver Krehan

Backup copy job and GFS

Post by okrehan »

Hi,

we have Veeam configured backing up several VMs on a regular base in reverse incremental mode to a DAS storage system. What we now want to do is throwing our tape drive away and only using another DAS storage to keep weekly backups (8 versions) for archive reasons.
Best option would be to copy on a weekly base only a (synthetic) full to the second storage. I tried the standard copy job but that job MUST have a min of 2 restore points on the second storage and converting this with the GFS schema to synthetic weekly fulls on a regular base. The problem is, the injection of the incremental is a time consuming and performance hitting task on this second storage system and as I already have reverse incremental fulls on the primary backup storage, it is more or less twice the work to do.
Is there any chance to let Veeam simply copy the reverse incremental on a weekly base to the second storage, let it handle the retention and get a history about that copy so I know which backups are also on the second storage system?
I don't need any incrementals on the "archive" storage and I don't want any additional I/O on it for incremental transformation or synthetic full creation. Any idea?

Regards,
Oliver
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup copy job and GFS

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Oliver,
How about the file copy job on a weekly basis?
However, more organic way is still to use backup copy job with GFS retention.
Thanks!
okrehan
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Oliver Krehan

Post by okrehan »

Hi,

sure I could use file copy, I could also copy it with robocopy but I would like to have the ability to search for files in Enterprise Manager and as far as I understand a vbk copied with "file copy" will not be traced anymore. So after the original vbk is deleted due to rentention policies I have no information about the copied vbk on the second storage, right?

Oliver
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You are correct, that`s why backup copying is a recommended way.
If you schedule backup copy job to run once a week, you will have a chain of weekly backups even without GFS.