Backup Copy Job: Copy only Full Backups

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Backup Copy Job: Copy only Full Backups

Veeam Logoby dropped91 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi,

I configured on our Branch Office a forever incremental Backup Job with Active Full on saturday (Every Saturday: Active Full; during the week: incremental)

Now I want to configure a Backup Copy Job to our Headquarters that runs on wednesday and copy ONLY the latest Full Backup. I don't need the incremental Backups at our Headquarters from the Branch Office.

How can I do that?
dropped91
Influencer

Liked: never

Re: Backup Copy Job: Copy only Full Backups

Veeam Logoby dropped91 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi,

So if I outstood it right, I doesn't have any chance to ignore the incremenatal backups?

dropped91
dropped91
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi,

The backup copy job does not just copy, backup files, this feature creates a separate backup chain and copy most recent state of VMs from the source repository.
You can enable GFS retention in the backup copy job and configure it to keep weekly backups on Wednesday and retain as many as you need, also it is important to enable active full (select the “Read the entire restore point from source…” check box).

So if I outstood it right, I doesn't have any chance to ignore the incremenatal backups?

There is a possible workaround for you to use file copy job.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm working this issue myself, in conjunction with a new Veeam Agent for Windows implementation. I have month-end backups that we keep for a year, and year-end backups we keep for seven years, for certain physical servers. I plan on creating these with Backup Copy Jobs. I plan to run the job once per month, with GFS retention set to keep 12 monthlies and seven yearlies. With this configuration,what should I see with regards to incrementals getting caught by the job? What should I set "Restore points to keep" to?
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi Chuck,

You will see as many incremental files as you will set by simple retention policy.
For example, you set it to 7 restore points to keep with daily interval, then you will see 1 .vbk and 6 .vib backup files.
As for GFS retention policy it will retain monthly and yearly backups as you want it to.

You can set the backup interval to 30 days and retention policy to keep 2 restore points.
This way the copy job will move full backup on the initial run and one increment every 30 days followed by injection of previous one.
Retention of the regular chain is not that important since you need GFS restore points only.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Hmm, one thing is that our monthly and yearly backups are to be done on a specific time and day of the month. In that case I'm not sure a 30-day backup copy interval will cover it, since not all months have 30 days.
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication