Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ITWWT
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: John

Backup copy job - excluded disks

Post by ITWWT »

I am running Veeam v7.0.0.839. I have various backup jobs scheduled (reverse incremental). One of the jobs is a weekly job which backs up two Virtual servers, but only selected disks. I have created a new Backup copy job to copy from backup. When this job runs, it appears to backup all of the disks of the two servers and not just the disks selected in the backup job.It does not seem to be taking account of the excluded disks in the backup job.
Can you please tell me how to setup a backup copy job to only copy the disks on the servers from the actual backup job and not the whole VM's. Thanks
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Mårten Edelbrink

Re: Backup copy job - excluded disks

Post by Marten_med_e »

Not the same error but this happens to my Backup copy jobs with selected disks only, I do run 8.0.0.2030.
http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... 28950.html

Try to add source as explained in the workaround that is in post two.

Cheers
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

Hi, thanks for your reply, I did already see your post. The problem is I cannot create a Backup Copy job with no objects in it as it will not let me get past that screen. I have tried adding a repository using the Source button but cannot get any further until an object is added. Am I missing something?
Regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering how you specified the source for backup copy job. Repository, VMs from infrastructure, backup jobs?
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

I selected the backup job option.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

John, if you choose the backup job as a source, it should copy the restore points created by the job. If the source job made disk exclusions, those disks should be excluded from backup copy job as well.
Have you checked if the disks are actually excluded by the source backup job? Thanks!
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

Shestakov wrote:John, if you choose the backup job as a source, it should copy the restore points created by the job. If the source job made disk exclusions, those disks should be excluded from backup copy job as well.
Have you checked if the disks are actually excluded by the source backup job? Thanks!
v.Eremin wrote:I'm wondering how you specified the source for backup copy job. Repository, VMs from infrastructure, backup jobs?
Same as I did, choosing backup job as a source, and that didn't work as expected, see support case #00949961, I think these two cases is related even if Veeam versions are different. And yes source backup job only processes the included disk.

Cheers
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

Yes, my file server VM has 7 disks, my weekly backup job only backs up disks 4, 5, 6 and 7.
I created a new backup copy job from backup job, the job started last night and was still running this morning. The VBK file of the original backup was around 650GB, however when I got in this morning the backup copy job was 50% complete with a backup file of 1.2TB. When I looked at the backup copy job status, it was backing up all 7 of the hard disks from the file server including two large 1TB disks. I stopped the job and am seeking a solution from somewhere. my understanding was that a "Backup Copy Job" would just copy the backup files from the "Backup Job", but this does not seem to be the case if the original backup job has excluded disks.
Regards
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

ITWWT wrote:Yes, my file server VM has 7 disks, my weekly backup job only backs up disks 4, 5, 6 and 7.
I created a new backup copy job from backup job, the job started last night and was still running this morning. The VBK file of the original backup was around 650GB, however when I got in this morning the backup copy job was 50% complete with a backup file of 1.2TB. When I looked at the backup copy job status, it was backing up all 7 of the hard disks from the file server including two large 1TB disks. I stopped the job and am seeking a solution from somewhere. my understanding was that a "Backup Copy Job" would just copy the backup files from the "Backup Job", but this does not seem to be the case if the original backup job has excluded disks.
Regards
Déjà vu

Cheers
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

John, your understanding is correct.

The "misunderstanding" could appear only if you had several backup jobs of the VM, some with, some without exclusions and set the source of backup copy job "from infrastructure" or "from backups". If the scenario is not applied to your case, please contact Veeam technical support team. As the behavior you are describing is not expected.

Marten, your topic is being reviewed as well.

Thanks!
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

Thanks Shestakov, I will contact Veeam Technical support after lunch.
Regards
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

John, once you do, please post your support case number for us to follow the investigation.
Thanks and Bon Appetit!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you guys tell us whether the exclusions have been setup from the very beginning or you've added them after some time? In other words, is it possible that the said disk is present inside the source backup chain or in restore points created by different backup jobs (Nikita's question)?
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

My exclusions were setup on my backup job a back in October 2014. I have only just started to use the Backup copy job. I hope that helps.
Regards
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

Tech support case ref 00957099
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

v.Eremin wrote:Can you guys tell us whether the exclusions have been setup from the very beginning or you've added them after some time? In other words, is it possible that the said disk is present inside the source backup chain or in restore points created by different backup jobs (Nikita's question)?
New backup job with only one disk selected from the beginning.

Cheers
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Marten, do you have any other backup jobs which back up the VM? Have you chosen the source for backup copy job "From jobs"?
Thanks!
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

Shestakov wrote:Marten, do you have any other backup jobs which back up the VM? Have you chosen the source for backup copy job "From jobs"?
Thanks!
I will continue in my own thread so we don't mix up the environments.

I just wanted "ITWWT" to know that I also get confusing results with backup copy jobs where source has included (excluded) disks.

Cheers
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

So here is the answer to this issue.
I have one backup job, backing up server1 but only backing up disks 1, 2 and 3.
I have another backup job (running weekly) also backing up server 1 but only disks 4, 5 and 6.
I created a Backup copy job, using the "From Backup" option and chose the second backup job. This resulted in a backup file being copied for all of the disks on server1.
After speaking to Veeam technical support, if you want the backup copy job to only create a copy of the included disks on a backup job, you must choose the "From jobs" option when creating the backup copy job.
I changed my backup copy job to use this option and it has worked as I wanted.

I hope that helps.
It would be useful if this was explained in the Veeam documentation, as other seem to have hit the same snag.
Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

John, it is actually mentioned there, though without specific examples of what could happen in this or that case.
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

foggy wrote:John, it is actually mentioned there, though without specific examples of what could happen in this or that case.
Sorry John for posting in your thread again, but the text says,
From Backup. You can select VMs from available backups. When a backup copy job runs, Veeam Backup & Replication will search for restore points of selected VM(s) in all backups created on the Veeam backup server. You can limit the search scope by selecting only specific repositories for the backup copy job.
In my setup, I got only one disk included in the backup copy job (not all as John does), from the beginning I thought this disk was randomly selected but it turned out to be the disk with the latest snapshot created that ended up in the backup, but the backup copy job had the wrong disk included and not always the same, why don't I get all disks included as John does? And how are we going to understand that this is as expected from the text in the documentation?

But I can't really accept that it is supposed to work this way. Sorry again John for my interference in your thread.

Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Documentation explains that the scope of restore points where the data is looked up during backup copy job depends on how VMs are added to the job. However, the behavior in your case, Mårten, looks unexpected, so I'd check with support regarding that.
Marten_med_e
Enthusiast

Post by Marten_med_e »

foggy wrote:Documentation explains that the scope of restore points where the data is looked up during backup copy job depends on how VMs are added to the job. However, the behavior in your case, Mårten, looks unexpected, so I'd check with support regarding that.
Support case opened already and a thread here on the forum with pictures and a short video clip showing what's going on.

Cheers

(Sorry again John, must stop posting in your thread)