Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wayne7215
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Backup Copy Job for Server Migration with DEDUP

Post by wayne7215 »

Hi

We use Dedup on our Win2012R2 Servers since years and now we have a Migration of such a Dedup NTFS Folder with a size of 110GB (Size on Disk) but 2.4TB without Dedup. I was planning to do this with Robocopy and to copy the folder from the old Server share to the new Server share, but I have read a few comments that Robocopy could destroy the Deduped data during this copy. So I'm curious if it would not also be possible with Veeam 9.5U4 we use. Is it possible to use a Veeam Backup Copy job to copy only the deduped amount of data, so only the 110GB instead the 2.4TB to another server with Dedup enabled?

Thnx
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy Job for Server Migration with DEDUP

Post by veremin »

Few things:

1) Backup copy doesn't copy the backup chain blindly, instead it synthetically creates required restore points in "target" location from VM data in source backup repositories. So, using backup copy you won't be able to copy all current backup files to new location.

2) Even if the first point was possible, the migration wouldn't preserve data savings granted by Windows deduplication.

Thanks!
wayne7215
Influencer

Post by wayne7215 »

Ok, thank you for the quick response.
wayne7215
Influencer

Post by wayne7215 »

Another question, what if I restore the dedupe folder from a Veeam Backup to the new Server where dedup is on as well? Would I need then 110GB free disk capacity on the new Server or would Veeam just restore the files dehydrated and I would need 2.4TB on the new target volume?

Thnx
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As Windows Deduplication uses post-processing model (data gets deduped after some time), initially you will need 2.4 TB which then will be reduced to 110 GB. Thanks!