Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
tomas.odehnal
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tomas Odehnal

Re: Backup Copy Job Issues

Post by tomas.odehnal » Apr 02, 2014 11:02 am

@foggy, you are right. If I change the schedule to "Any time", the job starts. I'll notify the support engineer.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1399 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Apr 02, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks for confirming. This should be addressed in the next product patch.

tomas.odehnal
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tomas Odehnal

Post by tomas.odehnal » Apr 03, 2014 8:27 am 1 person likes this post

I can confirm support provided temporary fix which solved the problem for me. Thanks again.

guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Guillermo Lozano

Post by guillermo.lozano » Apr 07, 2014 11:58 am

Hello, This same thing happened to me right after patch #3.

I was able to resolve this by setting the time window to "Any Time"

Regards,
Guillermo.-

spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport » Jun 17, 2014 1:41 pm

But I do NOT want Anytime!

I want to exclude times

Seb

v.Eremin
Veeam Software
Liked: 1165 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by v.Eremin » Jun 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Have you had a chance to upgrade to the latest product version? The said bug should be fixed there.
Health Check process continuously fails with the "Timed out waiting for the backup repository resource to become available for backup integrity check" error during the periods when the Backup Copy job is restricted from using network bandwidth.
Thanks.

spgsit5upport
Expert

Post by spgsit5upport » Jun 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks, I have now updated to patch 4 (updated to patch 3 not long ago...)

Seems to be OK (does not fail, but waits for the allowed time)

Again, bug fixed without need to Support ID

Seb

Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 2977 times

Post by Gostev » Jun 17, 2014 2:43 pm 2 people like this post

Known issues is a different thing. Admit that you could have "fixed" this not only without opening a support case, but even without posting on the forums (by just reviewing the sticky topic in this very forum).

In the bigger picture though, bug was fixed in the recent patch only because there were plenty of support cases filed for this issue. Otherwise, it would not have been fixed until v8. It is support who tells R&D what common bugs they like to be fixed in the patch, and they judge solely based on the number of support cases for the specific issue.

That is just so you understand one of the reasons why we are strictly enforcing support case ID when people are posting about any technical issues, other than known and documented of course.

spgsit5upport
Expert

Post by spgsit5upport » Jun 17, 2014 6:10 pm

So after running for 3 hours (2 h 20 min of the allowed time slot), copying one VM (large one), a backup job started, which made made the backup show:

17/06/2014 18:31:24 :: Operation was canceled by user

Well, user did not cancel it. Most likely the fact that other job wanted to process same VM did the actual "cancel"

No, I will not be opening support case, simply do not care enough about it, will rather use rsync

Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 2977 times

Post by Gostev » Jun 17, 2014 11:20 pm 2 people like this post

If rsync was any good, we would not have developed Backup Copy. Be very careful with rsync, as it has a bad record in our support...

Some reliability issues that come to my mind:
1. Does not handle interruptions in application-aware manner (updates to file are not transactional, so it may leave your backup file at target corrupted).
2. Does not do network traffic verification (network traffic corruption is the common issues causing backup corruption).
3. Does not to periodic health checks of backup files data to detect storage level corruption.

But most importantly, rsync is going to be really slow on large backup files, because it has no idea what blocks have changed from one pass to the next, so it has to re-read the entire file, on both ends to calculate the hashes. Also, because it reads and hashes the entire file into memory, it has a tendency to fall over on very large files. Files that are 100GB or larger can slow to a crawl. Might not be a problem for you if your backup files are quite small though.

Hope this helps!