Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Backup Copy Job Problems

Post by Anguel »

Hi!

I have a very simple Hyper-V VBR setup on a single server and VM + Endpoint backups go to a local storage repository - this works fine so far.
In addition I use a network folder on a NAS as a second repository to send backup copy jobs to.
Now I have two Backup Copy Jobs: one for all Endpoint Backups and one for my VMs (only one VM at this time).
Unfortunately, I have issues with both copy jobs:
1. The backup copy job for all endpoint backups seems to work fine, however it throws out a warning on random endpoint backups during its run:
Source restore point is locked by another job.
The warning does not appear on all endpoint backups but only on a few, and which endpoints are affected seems to be random. BTW, I have left the copy job schedule at the default: Any time (continuously).

2. The backup copy job for the VM does not seem to work for some reason. I get a warning:
Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval
and Details says: Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval
Also, I do not see anything for the VM backup copy job when I look under "Backups -> Disk (copy)" on the left in Veeams GUI.

Any hints are welcome.

Anguel
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy Job Problems

Post by PTide »

Hi,
1. The backup copy job for all endpoint backups seems to work fine, however it throws out a warning on random endpoint backups during its run:
Could you please double-check if the source Endpoint job is running during backup copy job session?
2. The backup copy job for the VM does not seem to work for some reason. I get a warning:
Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval
Please describe your source job schedule and your backup copy job schedule. It seems that backup copy job does not manage to copy the whole restore point during interval.

Thank you.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Many thanks for the fast reply, PTide.
PTide wrote: Could you please double-check if the source Endpoint job is running during backup copy job session?
Yes, it looks like the warnings occur when the copy job is run by Veeam shortly after the endpoint backup job time.
I see previous runs where the copy job had been scheduled by Veeam at completely different times and this seems to work without warnings.
So, do I have to modify the schedule manually? It seems that Veeam does not schedule properly to prevent overlaps?
Please describe your source job schedule and your backup copy job schedule. It seems that backup copy job does not manage to copy the whole restore point during interval.
Now I see that I had not entered a schedule for the VM backup job. Maybe this was the problem?
However, I wonder why the already available VM restore points have not been copied by the backup copy job.
Copy job schedule is at default: Any time (continuously).
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Yes, it looks like the warnings occur when the copy job is run by Veeam shortly after the endpoint backup job time. I see previous runs where the copy job had been scheduled by Veeam at completely different times and this seems to work without warnings. So, do I have to modify the schedule manually? It seems that Veeam does not schedule properly to prevent overlaps?
Correct, you need to make sure that Backup Copy job and Endpoint Backup do not overlap.
Now I see that I had not entered a schedule for the VM backup job. Maybe this was the problem?
However, I wonder why the already available VM restore points have not been copied by the backup copy job.
If source job restore point is out of reach of the backup copy job interval then it won't be copied. When was the last time the disabled source job run?

Also, I'd like to clarify something -
Is it Endpoint job throwing warnings or Backup Copy Job?

Thank you.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

PTide wrote:[Correct, you need to make sure that Backup Copy job and Endpoint Backup do not overlap.
I modified the copy job schedule, I set it to do the copy only during the day when no backups are performed. Let's see what will happen. But I still think that Veeam should be able to get this correctly without my intervention, and continuous schedule is also the default...
BTW: Veeam One now sent me a warning for the copy job: "Job exceeded backup window" for the backup copy job, I think this may be because I modified the schedule? A bit confusing...
If source job restore point is out of reach of the backup copy job interval then it won't be copied. When was the last time the disabled source job run?
Indeed, it was around 20 days ago. Now I set a daily schedule for the backup job and the backup copy job seems to run ok.
Is it Endpoint job throwing warnings or Backup Copy Job?
It is the backup COPY job. I have the impression that the backup job has still not unlocked the source restore point after a backup when the copy job starts.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

But I still think that Veeam should be able to get this correctly without my intervention, and continuous schedule is also the default<...>
It is the backup COPY job. I have the impression that the backup job has still not unlocked the source restore point after a backup when the copy job starts
QA team confirmed that an appearance of such warning is a bug and you can safely ignore them. This behaviour will be fixed soon.
Thank you.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

PTide wrote:QA team confirmed that an appearance of such warning is a bug and you can safely ignore them. This behaviour will be fixed soon.
Thank you.
Thank you, PTide. This is good news. On the other hand I am surprised that I encountered such an error regarding the fact that my setup is probably the simplest that can exist. I hope that they will fix it soon.
After having modified the backup copy job schedule for my endpoint backups now the jobs seem to run fine and no errors are reported by Veeam B&R.
However, now I get some strange error from VeamONE every day via e-mail:

Object: MYHOST.MYDOMAIN.local
Object Type: Backup Server
Host: MYHOST.MYDOMAIN.local
Previous Status: Error
Alarm: Job exceeded backup window
Time: 20.03.2016 00:01:03
Details: Fired by event: VeeamBpJobWindowExceededEvent
Event description: Job "Backup Copy of Endpoints" has exceeded the configured backup window at 0000002818DF1958
Initiated by: Veeam ONE Monitor (MYHOST)

The strange thing is that when I start VeeamONE Monitor on the backup server I don't see any such errors.
I hope this is also some bug that can be safely ignored. Looking forward to your feedback.

Anguel
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

After having modified the backup copy job schedule for my endpoint backups now the jobs seem to run fine and no errors are reported by Veeam B&R.
However, now I get some strange error from VeamONE every day via e-mail:<..>Alarm: Job exceeded backup window<...>
This means that your backup copy job did not manage to copy everything within the allowed time-frame. How exactly have you reconfigured your backup copy job - did you changed interval start time, or just changed "Any time" to "during the following time periods only"?

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Anguel wrote:I get some strange error from VeamONE every day via e-mail
As written in the description, the alarm is triggered because the job took longer than its backup window. Did it really happen?
Anguel wrote:The strange thing is that when I start VeeamONE Monitor on the backup server I don't see any such errors.
Have you checked in "Data Protection View" pane > "Alarms" tab? All triggered Backup alarms should be shown there.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

My endpoint backups are performed between 21:00 and 1:00 in the night.
So the backup copy job schedule is now configured "During the following time periods only" and I have set the time from 8:00 to 20:00 for all days.
It looks like all copies have been completed.
I think that this message is some Veem One error, also it is not displayed in the Monitor, I only get it by e-mail.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

In this case backup copy job should start synchronization and copy the backups at 8:00, if 8-20.00 is a sufficient interval for that copy job, the alarm should not be triggered and email should not be sent.
Could you contact Veeam support to investigate the issue and the reason why you can`t see the alarms while the email is received.
Thanks!
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Backup copy job appears as "Success" and finished at 9:01 last time, so I think everything has been copied. I am busy right now but I will try to contact them ASAP.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks. Once you do, please post the case number here.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Case number is 01737723.

BTW: I also reported another GUI bug with my workstation having Windows magnification set to 125% makes the remote VBR console GUI unusable (case 01737765 if you are interested).
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

The second is a known issue. We recommend using default DPI (100%) and default text/font size. Otherwise, you're likely to come across different issues related to UI reflection.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Shestakov wrote:The second is a known issue. We recommend using default DPI (100%) and default text/font size. Otherwise, you're likely to come across different issues related to UI reflection.
Ah, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, 100% is unusable on those new hi-res monitors these days :-(
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

We are working on the GUI with not default DPIs. May be implemented in future versions.
Thanks for the feedback!
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Regarding case number 01737723 support helped me identify where the error is actually visible, it is only visible under "Data Protection View" in Veeam One monitor.
However, they are not responsible for VBR and cannot tell me why the error is not registered in VBR itself. They pointed me to check on B&R server > event viewer > Application and Services Logs > Veeam Backup > Sort events by Date and time > have a look at events near a time when you get alarm in Veeam One.
Now there are no warnings there, only success messages. However, these messages are throughout the day, sometimes in the morning (9:00), sometimes at midnight (0:00), although I have set my backup copy schedule to be between 8:00 and 20:00.
Maybe this confuses Veeam One? I am not sure how to proceed, do I need to open a new case for VBR now? It seems that that is different support there, however the error is only registered by Veeam One - very confusing.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Anguel wrote:Regarding case number 01737723 support helped me identify where the error is actually visible, it is only visible under "Data Protection View" in Veeam One monitor.
That`s expected and I`ve asked you to check it above in the thread.
"Job exceeded backup window" alarm is triggered by "VeeamBpJobWindowExceededEvent" event generated by VBR server, so the alarm can`t appear from nowhere. Please ask the support engineers to continue the investigation or to shift the support ticker to VBR support engineers.
Thanks
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Shestakov wrote:That`s expected and I`ve asked you to check it above in the thread.
I am very sorry, no idea how this happened, but I must have overlooked it somehow.
Please ask the support engineers to continue the investigation or to shift the support ticker to VBR support engineers.
Ok, I will observe first, because the alarm did not appear last night, although I have not changed anything. I have now set the old alarms as resolved in Veeam One Monitor so now let's see if the error will reappear.
Thank you for your help.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

No problem, let me know if any assistance is needed. I`ll keep an eye on the support case investigation.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Just an update on exceeded backup window problem: This has now been confirmed as a bug, although it does not seem to have a negative impact on backup, and should be fixed in next releases.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the update, Anguel!
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

PTide wrote:QA team confirmed that an appearance of such warning is a bug and you can safely ignore them. This behaviour will be fixed soon.
"Source restore point is locked by another job" problem is still there with Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0.0.1715 (latest update).
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The bug will be fixed in v9.5.

Thanks
Anguel
Expert