Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kslaught21
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Slaughter

Backup Copy Job Scheduling Question

Post by kslaught21 »

I have a backup copy job using a local backup job as the source. The source backup job is running every 6 hours (6 PM, Midnight, 6 AM, Noon) and has 84 restore points. We would like to have the same retention on the backup copy job...wondering how I should schedule this. Do I just set the copy interval on the backup copy job to copy every 6 hours starting at like midnight? And then keep the number of restore points on the copy job to 84 as well? Thanks!
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Backup Copy Job Scheduling Question

Post by nitramd »

I have several backup jobs that run every six hours. My Backup Copy Jobs (BCJ) also run every six hours. For clarity, these BCJs run continuously.

You can loosely time your BCJ to run after your source backup job has completed. After you've built and saved your BCJ (without running it), and know when the source has finished, just right click on the BCJ and select "Sync now" from the popup menu. After the first successful run of the BCJ, Veeam will run this job every six hours. Easy.

You should be able to have the same number of restore points on your BCJ.

Good luck.
kslaught21
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Slaughter

Post by kslaught21 »

Thanks and kind of what I thought. We had left the default backup copy job interval to every 24 hours, and I noticed we only had restore points for every 24 hours, not every 6 hours (as the source job has) like we would like. Didn't realize the copy jobs were actually combining all of those .vibs apparently.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your assumption is correct. Backup copy job doesn't copy backup chain as a whole, but rather synthetically creates required restore points in "target" location from VM data in source backup repositories. So, within copy interval backup copy job creates only one restore point. Thanks.