Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Backup copy job settings for XFS repo with immutability

Post by Anguel »

Hi,

I would like to build a hardened Linux XFS repo and schedule two daily backup copy jobs to move all my agent backups and all my VM backups to this repo and keep them immutable for e.g. 14 or 30 days.
Now I looked through some docs and presentations and these state that GFS must be enabled to make immutability work for copy jobs. However, I did not see any example of how to do this.
Can someone please give me some hints what settings must be changed in the copy job? Should I just set GFS to weekly? Anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance,
Anguel
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup copy job settings for XFS repo with immutability

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Anguel

You are correct. You can enable weekly gfs in the backup copy job settings.
Then the backup copy chain will switch from forever forward incremental backup chain to a forward incremental backup chain.

A forever forward incremental chain cannot be set to immutable because the fullbackup needs to be merged with the oldest incremental backup each day. If they were immutable, veeam couldn‘t edit the files.

With a forward incremental chain you will have weekly synthetic fulls. Those backup chains can be set immutable by veeam, because backup files doesn‘t need to be merged or edited after they were stored on the backup repo.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software