Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
y1008946
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Backup Copy Job Settings

Post by y1008946 »

Hi, I am new to Veeam and I want to check we have the setup correct. In our infrastructure we have 3 Dell servers

1 - Virtual Host - 10 VMs

2 - Physical Server - Onsite Backup Repository

3 - Virtual Server - Offsite Backup Repository

We have configured Veeam to run backup jobs of the VMs overnight and save them them to the onsite backup repository on our 2nd server.

It is the backup copy jobs which we need some help configuring and I have a couple of questions about. We want to use the backup copy jobs to backup to our offsite location. Is the idea that the backup copy jobs should be set with these settings?

When selecting the Virtual Machine, should we select the VM by clicking on 'Add' and then chosing 'from backup' instead of 'from infrastructure'. Or does it not matter which we choose?

For the source backup repository setting is it best to select the option for 'any backup repository', or should we select only our onsite backup repository from the list. (For the target we have set an offsite backup repository).

Thanks v much
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Backup Copy Job Settings

Post by Gostev »

How you pick VM does not matter, just a matter of convenience. No matter how you pick your VMs, the Backup Copy job will obtain the VM data from backup files.

And don't worry about picking the repository, this is only needed in case of complex deployments with both local and remote copy jobs, when you prefer to tie the remote job to the specific repository. As for basic deployments, Backup Copy jobs are smart enough by itself not to look for VM data in the target backup repository.

Thanks!
y1008946
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by y1008946 »

Thanks for this explanation it really helps.

Should I link the backup copy jobs to the backup jobs?

I've found in the documentation that it is possible to edit the backup job settings to select a secondary target, and to then be able to select the backup copy job.

Should I do this? From what I understand it said that the backup copy job settings would automatically be updated.

Do you recomend that I do this?

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

It is hard to make recommendations without knowing your scenario. I personally like linking to primary jobs when you want to copy all (most) of your VMs, because this reduces management overhead of updating Backup Copy jobs. But it is hard to recommend when you only want to copy a handful of VMs backed up by different primary jobs.