Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ITWWT
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: John

Backup Copy Job slower than XCOPY

Post by ITWWT »

Hi Guys,
Prior to the Backup copy job facility, I used to use XCOPY to copy all backup files from my overnight reversed incremental backups to my rotated drives.

The rotated drives are 4TB Seagate USB3.0. The copy rate using XCOPY is around 110MB/S. The XCOPY scheduled task used to run from 2am until 10:30am and copy just over 3TB of data from our Dell SAN to the locally attached external drive (8.5 hours).

I have now setup backup copy jobs for all of my backups. This is considerable slower than the XCOPY job. The FILE server backup file is 1.3TB. The Backup Copy Job takes 12 hours to copy this file alone.

Is this a bug, or is there a setting I can tweak?
I am considering going back to using XCOPY.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?
Regards
John
ITWWT
Influencer

Re: Backup Copy Job slower than XCOPY

Post by ITWWT »

I forgot to mention, I am running Veeam 7 patch 3 and that I ran the BCJ for the FILE server on its own when no other jobs were running. This took 12 hours to copy 1.3TB.
Regards
John
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

John, please be aware that backup copy job does not copy files but rather synthetically creates restore points in target location from the changed blocks extracted from the source storage. Synthetic activity requires much more I/O comparing to simple sequential read/write, putting higher load on the storage. However, backup copy job is forever incremental and after completing the initial sync, it will copy only changes during each subsequent job cycle.
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

Hi Foggy,
Maybe I have misunderstood. I thought BCJ copied the latest backup to a 2nd source.
As I mentioned I am using BCJ purely to copy the latest backup file to a daily rotated drive. If what you are saying is correct, BCJ does not help me in any way. I will resort back to my XCOPY jobs.
Do you have any better suggestions?
What I want to achieve is a copy of our latest reversed incremental files VBK and VBM on a daily rotated external drive. Only one restore point required.
Regards
John
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Though you can implement the rotated drives scenario with backup copy jobs, however, probably in your case, given the speed, using third-party tool to just copy the backup file would be faster.
ITWWT
Influencer

Post by ITWWT »

Thanks Foggy.
Can I make a suggestion......The File copy job within Veeam, can you change it to enable us to enter *.vbk and *.vbm.
This way I could setup a File Copy job to copy all VBK and VBM files from my Primary backup repository to my secondary (external rotated drive) on a daily basis.
What do you think?
Regards
John
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yep, we already have this kind of request, so thank you for the feedback.