Pijacek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomáš Pijáček

Backup copy job

Post by Pijacek »

Good day,
I would need some advice.
I have 10 backup jobs, each job contains around 10 VMs and all jobs are started daily in the evening. I have purchased a new Qnap with the QUTS operating system (second repository), and I would like to use the backup copy job (3-2-1) + have a longer period of backups.
Should I create only one backup copy job and put all the backup jobs in it? or create a separate backup copy job for each backup job?
It bothers me a bit that when creating a Backup copy job, all the backups are in one directory (I also tried to activate "Use Per-machine backup").

I am sorry for my bad English...
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup copy job

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tomáš

A single copy job with "Use Per-machine backup" is fine. In Veeam Backup & Replication V12, "Use Per-machine backup" will be mandatory for backup copy jobs. With each additional job, you need more RAM in your backup server.
With a single job and "Use Per-machine backup", best practice is to use not more than 300 VMs in a single job.

How is the QNAP connected to the backup environment? iSCSI, SMB or NFS?
Do you have a third copy which is air-gapped or immutable? With just "iSCSI, SMB or NFS", an attacker can delete your primary and secondary backups from the same VBR console and leave you without any backup to restore.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Pijacek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomáš Pijáček

Post by Pijacek »

Qnap is connected as SMB (this is a ts-h1277xu-rp model with 32GB ram). I have enabled storage images on Qnap and I am considering using the WORM that enables it as well.
Do you recommend putting all backup jobs into one backup copy job?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes, I would use a single backup copy job with "Use Per-machine backup chains".
For SMB and NFS based repositories, it is recommended to use active full instead of synthetic full copies. You have to use a periodic backup copy job to leverage active fulls. Immediate copy jobs cannot use active fulls.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software