Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Backup Copy Job w/ GFS: Full Backup Restore Points

Post by itfnb »

I've got a new Back Copy Job running with GFS settings in place that is copying my nightly Backup Job…all to replace our previous separate Backup Jobs for Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly backups. But I missed the heading at the top of the GFS "Schedule" settings window where it says "Full Backup Restore Point". Doh! That's more of a storage space requirement than I realized. I've got 25 Windows and 4 Linux VMs in this job and each full backup is about 2TB a pop for me.

In an effort to trim that down a bit, would it be against best practices to change my overall job retention to 30 restore points and drop the Weekly restore points? My incremental backups are about 60-80GB/ea.

As a side note, it would be cool if Backup Copy Jobs didn't require full backups for GFS retention. I suppose I could do some separate Backup Copy Jobs…that was still be way better than hitting the VMs themselves for backups.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy Job w/ GFS: Full Backup Restore Points

Post by veremin »

In an effort to trim that down a bit, would it be against best practices to change my overall job retention to 30 restore points and drop the Weekly restore points?
If you’re ok with not using GFS rotation scheme, you can switch to the “simple retention” policy without any issues.
As a side note, it would be cool if Backup Copy Jobs didn't require full backups for GFS retention.
There are some potential issues with that, since creating dependency between GFS restore points might lead to undesired circumstances. Thanks.