Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Backup Copy jobs failing "access denied" Case # 02982497

Post by unsichtbarre »

Veeam support Case # 02982497

Hi all, I have a tough one: My Backup Copy jobs are failing with "Error: Access Denied" almost as soon as the cycle starts. No more detail than that.

I have been all over user accounts and backup repository permissions (and tried other accounts with Veeam Support, such as domain admin and local admin) to no avail. Case is no in analysis by support. Here's the details

1. Veeam server hosts one repository as an iSCSI attached disk
2. Veeam Proxy (remote) hosts another repository as an iSCSI attached disk
3. VMs being protected are local to Proxy, not Veeam server
4. Backup jobs (incremental) are working as expected
5. Backup copy sources data from incremental backups (this is implicit, but I thought I would state it)
6. Have checked and even changed the user account backing the Veeam Server to no effect
7. Have changed Access permissions for the Repository to: Allow to everyone
8. No antivirus on Veeam Server or Proxy

Fortunately this is Backup Copy and not Replication, so I have 24-48 hours before I am badly out-of-sync with the environment -
Any Ideas?
-J
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy jobs failing "access denied" Case # 02982497

Post by foggy »

unsichtbarre wrote:Case is no in analysis by support.
Hi John, a bit confused by this statement. Please ask your engineer to look deeper in job logs, since the actual reason and subject off access failure should be there. Ask for case escalation, if required.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider

Post by unsichtbarre »

Thanks Foggy, the statement by me was a typo, should have read: "Case & logs are now in analysis by support".
unsichtbarre
Service Provider

Post by unsichtbarre »

Some interesting new information, that sets this issue apart from other Backup Copy job on other instances of Veeam:

Before Backup Copy failed, there had been failures on some of the VMs in the source incremental Veeam Backup jobs. Veeam support was aware of this. Simple failures like "Error: VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest," which usually either self-correct or are corrected by a reboot of the VM. In my entire experience using Veeam Backup Copy (several years and hundreds of protected objects), I have seen this affect ONLY the VM which failed the incremental backup, as the Backup Copy ran. I never suspected that one VM could cause the entire job to fail immediately with "access denied"!

Over the weekend, we were able to clear the VSS error on the only VM failing incremental backup, and magically Backup Copy started working!

I now need to know: What about this Veeam Backup > Backup Copy job is different from other instances of Veeam? Is it a problem?

THX
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Not sure the access denied event is related to those in-guest issues. You'd better analyze this with the help of your engineer.