Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
antipolis
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Backup copy mode immediate mode & QuickBackup

Post by antipolis »

Greetings everyone,

I have been converting my backup copy jobs to immediate mode (which really makes everything easier for us) for the last year, and I am quite happy with the general behaviour which I find way more predictable.

I found a downside to this configuration though; from time to time my coworkers needs to make a punctual backup of a VM (before an application upgrade for example), so I instructed them to use "Quick backup" instead of VeeamZIP whenever possible because A) it's faster B) it takes less disk space C) it takes advantage of application aware settings & scripts defined in the backup jobs.

Now, since switching the backup copy jobs to immediate mode, everytime a Quick backup is initiated, it is immediately replicated by the backup copy jobs, which is expected... BUT the copy job then ends with a "warning" result, with all the VMs in the job (except the one which was "quick backup-ed") with a status of "Task was not processed in the current session". This in turn generates a Veeam One Alert...

This has a tendency of confusing everyone, and potentially lessening the alertness of the team when seeing "real" backup alerts... so I was wondering if there is a way around this ?

Thanks in advance!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy mode immediate mode & QuickBackup

Post by foggy »

Hi, thanks for the detailed description, this is currently an expected behavior - the job needs to warn the user in case something is not synced, to avoid further issues, and it is not able to distinguish Quick Backup from the regular one. Noted as a future improvement.
antipolis
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Re: Backup copy mode immediate mode & QuickBackup

Post by antipolis »

it is not able to distinguish Quick Backup from the regular one. Noted as a future improvement.
this is what I had in mind, thank you for the feedback !