Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TomPioreck
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Pioreck

Backup Copy not finishing initial full backup

Post by TomPioreck »

I have two of the Backup Copy jobs setup for a server. One is for the local site and the other copy goes to our secondary office. The job that runs to the secondary office is running fine, no issues.

The run that stays local has yet to be able to complete the first full copy job. I haven't been able to figure out any reason yet as to why. The jobs are almost identical in their setups. The regular backup drive for the server, as well as its replication job are working correctly.

I'm just looking for some tips on where to begin re-checking any settings or options. Is it possible that the job was just bad and I should delete it and start with a fresh one? These are the first ones I've attempted of this job type, so there's a definite beginner/learning curve involved here.

Thanks all.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Copy not finishing initial full backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tom,

Do you have these jobs targeted to the same source VMs or you have two different backup copy jobs syncing different VMs? What is the current state of the job that didn't complete its full run? Is it waiting for the main backup job to complete backing up all VMs?

Thanks!
TomPioreck
Influencer

Post by TomPioreck »

It's the same server for both jobs.

For the one that is not finishing, the server is a status of pending. The job is idle running continuously. It runs without an error, it just gives us warnings;
"Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval"

Please let me know if this is sufficient or if you need any further information.

Thanks again for the prompt response.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It seems like your backup copy job was not able to sync all VMs and was interrupted, that is why you see this message (no need to worry). Can you please tell me what is your copy interval for this backup copy job? Have you tried forcing "Sync now" option for this job?
TomPioreck
Influencer

Post by TomPioreck »

I have not forced a Sync Now. Both jobs are set of an interval of one day.

As far as the number of VM's, there is only one involved for these jobs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If source backup files are not locked, you should be able to sync the missing restore point by manually executing this option. Also you may want to double-check with our technical support team what made your job abort the sync operation (should be stated in the job debug log files).
TomPioreck
Influencer

Post by TomPioreck »

Thanks a lot.
TomPioreck
Influencer

Post by TomPioreck »

Last note on this question;

I know have three servers that I have setup for Backup Copy jobs, as I begin to roll it out for our full backup implementation. I'll try to encapsulate them here. All three server's jobs are setup in this manner.

Example: File server

A. File Server backup job runs once an hour, between 7AM-8PM. This job has been running for over a year for our current backup structure and is successful on a regular basis. Job is setup to copy to a connected MD1000 repository, "Main Repository."
B. FileServer_BackupCopy_toLocal - I setup a backup copy based on File Server vm. This job is set to copy its data to "Main Repository."
C. FileServer_BackupCopy_to Off-Site - A backup copy job created on an identical basis as the "toLocal" job, with the only exception being that it being copied to an MD1000 unit in our secondary office to "Secondary Repository."

All jobs that are being copied to a different office are fine. It may have taken some extra time to complete the initial copy, but it did and I can see jobs ending correctly and that the .vbk files are growing properly. All three of the local jobs are not completing. None have been able to complete the initial copy, and two have been running for one and two weeks, respectively. Two of the jobs are on the Main, one is on the Secondary.

Is it just that a backup copy job can't really copy itself to the same storage repository as its original backup?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Is it just that a backup copy job can't really copy itself to the same storage repository as its original backup?
Backup copy has indeed inbuilt mechanism preventing it from looking restore points in the repository that is specified as backup copy job target. So, it isn't possible to use the same local repository as both "source" and "target" for backup copy job.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Tom, as a workaround for this, you can create any new folder on the same physical repository, add new backup repository pointed to this folder and then use it in your jobs configuration. In this case you will have the same physical repository, but Veeam will treat it as two different logical repositories.
TomPioreck
Influencer

Post by TomPioreck »

I feel so foolish :oops:
Thank you both.
jsalinas
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jorge Salinas

Post by jsalinas » 2 people like this post

You guys nail it!!! I wanna thank you all for the precise answer which led me to fix the error I was having.

The repository of the Backup Copy Job can not be the same as the one used for the original Backup Job.... Thanks :D

I reconfigured my Backup Copy Job using another repository (For me I used a different folder on the same NAS) and it worked like a charm....