Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveN
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Nienhuis

Backup copy not running

Post by DaveN »

HI,

I have set our backup copy job with "copy every" to 14 and 240 restore points so that is will backup for 5 years.
But now i am getting warnings like :

2/10/2016 4:00:41 AM :: Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval

am i doing something wrong? the normal backups are running 14 restore points, i dont know if that has something to do with it?

regards,

Dave
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy not running

Post by foggy »

Dave, you have set the copy every interval to 14 days, right?
DaveN
Influencer

Post by DaveN »

HI,

yes i have copy every interval to 14 days
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
and 240 restore points so that is will backup for 5 years.
That's going to be a very long chain, which might invoke some issues. Have you considered using GFS retention policy?

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Regarding the warning, how many VMs do you have in this job and do you see the job running all the interval long (i.e. does it have enough time to copy all the data?)?
DaveN
Influencer

Post by DaveN »

foggy wrote:Regarding the warning, how many VMs do you have in this job and do you see the job running all the interval long (i.e. does it have enough time to copy all the data?)?
there are 4 VM''s in the job and has enough time to copy the data, but when i turn it on mannualy it gives the warning within 5 minutes
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you see any related messages if you click the particular VM in the list? I recommend contacting support to verify the behavior.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What product version are you using? Is there any backup window specified or you just enable/disable the job manually? Do you use Sync Now option? Thanks.
DaveN
Influencer

Post by DaveN »

v.Eremin wrote:What product version are you using? Is there any backup window specified or you just enable/disable the job manually? Do you use Sync Now option? Thanks.
we are using version 8.0.0.2084, and in the "Job" tab is set to
Copy every 14 days Starting at 4 AM

under schedule we have set it to Any Time (continuously)

PTide wrote:Hi,
That's going to be a very long chain, which might invoke some issues. Have you considered using GFS retention policy?

Thank you.
And regarding the GFS, i have asked about this in the forums before but i sill can't realy figure it out :oops: , mind helping me for a job that needs to backup for 5 years long?

With kind regards,

Dave Nienhuis
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

mind helping me for a job that needs to backup for 5 years long?
Do you need to have a copy of your backup exactly every 14 days or 1 backup in the beginning of the month and 1 backup in the middle of the month will be ok?
DaveN
Influencer

Post by DaveN »

PTide wrote:Do you need to have a copy of your backup exactly every 14 days or 1 backup in the beginning of the month and 1 backup in the middle of the month will be ok?
Hello,

no i dont need a backup exactly every 14 days. i think 1 backup in the beginning of the month and 1 backup in the middle of the month would do just fine :)
Kdoel
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Doel

[MERGED] : Extended Term Backups

Post by Kdoel »

Good Day,

I am relatively new to Veeam B&R. I have a user that has asked me to start backing up a Hyper-V VM and retaining 365 days worth of backups. Currently I am using the "Forever Forward method" to back them up. Is there a best Practice method to perform that backup and retain backups for that long of a period? :mrgreen:
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Well, yes, with 240 RPs GFS is not really suitable for you. I've just come up with a workaround - you need to schedule periodic Active Full for your Backup Copy Job. There is no scheduler in GUI so please use Windows Task Scheduler and Sync-VBRCopyJob -FullBackup PowerShell cmdlet. Please note, that Backup Copy Job will not create an active full if there are no fresh restore points available, i.e. if your Backup Copy Job has just created a restore point during current interval then no Active Full will be created unless your source job produces another increment. That's a bug and will be fixed soon. You need to run Active Fulls at the moment when a new restore point is available on source but has not been pulled to secondary repo yet. Such configuration will ensure that your backup copy job chain will be recoverable even in case of corruption of its rearmost restore point.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager

Re: Extended Term Backups

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Is there a best Practice method to perform that backup and retain backups for that long of a period?
Hi and welcome to the community!

Forever forward incremental is definitely not an option for such a long chain - in case any file in the chain gets corrupted the whole chain turns into an unrecoverable ash (except the full backup which is going to be 365 days behind present day). The best method would be to configure a forever forward backup job with 30 days retention and use backup copy job to ship backups offsite. Please see the thread you've been merged to for details.

Thank you.