Backup copy of a backup copy?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Backup copy of a backup copy?

Veeam Logoby vbruser » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm

The is the setup for one of my jobs i intend to use as a template.

Backup Job 1 - Production VM's backup to a local repository with a nightly RI backup (15 restore points kept) on Site 1
Backup copy job 1 - Copies backups to a repository (45 restore points kept) - on site Site 2
New Backup copy job 2 - Copies backups to a repository - Runs once a month (12 restore points kept) - on Site 2

First is this a good way to keep the last 45 days and then still retain a monthly without breaking the bank on storage and having 12 full backups on disk?

Also, the second backup copy job is trying to pull data from the backup job instead of the 1st backup copy job? Is this normal? Can i force it to get its backups from the existing backup copy since the data is already on the same site and not have it pull data over a wan link from the normal backup job repository?

The 1st backup copy job is set to backup "backup job 1" for objects to process, the 2nd backup copy is set the same way. I do not have an option to set the second copy job to process vm's from a backup copy, only from a backup job. Within the source section of backup copy 2, i specified it should use selected repositories and only selected the one where backup copy job 1 is and not where the primary backup job is.

It is still trying to pull its first full copy from the site 1 and the primary backup job repos instead of the local backup copy job files on site 2.
vbruser
Novice

Liked: 1 time

Re: Backup copy of a backup copy?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 pm

To have backup copy job using another backup copy job as a source, you need to select the VMs from infrastructure and specify the backup repository holding the primary backup copy restore points as the source.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby vbruser » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 pm

I changed the backup copy job and now included folders from the infrastructure option instead of the job option but it is still pulling vm data from the other sites repository. The initial backup never finished and i canceled midway through because of the time and bandwidth it was taking. Does this have something to do with still trying to pull from the wrong repository? Should i clone the job and start everything over?
vbruser
Novice

Veeam Logoby vbruser » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:16 pm 1 person likes this post

you are right, i was still getting an error but it was due to the fact that the source and target were the same repository this time.

The copy of the backup copy is now flying..
vbruser
Novice

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication