Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
merc123
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: TL

Backup Copy - Proper method?

Post by merc123 »

We have 4 VM's we back up daily.

We have 1 job per VM to back up to the SAN, 1 job per VM that backs up to a disk NAS.

The SAN backups maintain 3 restore points, Incremental with synthetic fulls done on Saturday. We only keep 3 due to space constraints and use the SAN for immediate, faster backup in case we need to roll back to the previous night.

The disk NAS backups maintain 14 restore points, Incremental w/ synthetic fulls done on Saturday and active full done monthly on first Sunday.

I want to drop having two different back up jobs per VM to the SAN and NAS. I was thinking that Backup Copy would work but what would be the best approach? My main concern is how the restore points work, independently or dependently.

1. Should I do the NAS back up first since it has 14 restore points vs. 3 on the SAN and just set 3 as the restore points to keep on the backup copy job?
2. Should I do the SAN back up first and just set 14 restore points for the NAS back up copy job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy - Proper method?

Post by foggy »

The recommended approach is to write backups first to the fast, small capacity storage for operational restores and then use backup copy jobs to copy them to some other storage with longer retention.

Here's a good reading on that: What is the ultimate VM backup architecture?
merc123
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: TL

Post by merc123 »

That's what I needed! Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You're welcome. Should any additional info be required, don't hesitate to ask.