Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dmitri-va
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dmitri

Backup Copy's 'copy interval' reset

Post by dmitri-va »

Read a lot of posts, tried the manual gui's 'sync now' as well as the power shell command to start a copy job, and they all stop in that 24 hour period, ending whatever VM it was copying with an error, no matter what your actual copy interval is set for.

Is there really no way to reset the actual specified 'copy interval' out there?

Below is my story (maybe there's a different way to do what I want without the above requirement?):

I have 198 VMs I backup locally daily which I want to copy to a remote site across a shared WAN connection. The goal is to copy them as often as possible.
At first I've configured the backup copy job with a big copy interval (14 days), so that the initial seeding would have a chance to complete (there's a global bandwidth throttling rule configured)
The copy has actually finished in ~7 days, so what I would have liked to do is to stop it, reconfigure the copy interval to say 7 days, reset the copy interval, and restart the job with this new copy interval. By this time most of the VMs had new restore points to copy, so it should start copying right away.
Then I would monitor now the incremental backup copies and if I see that this finishes even faster, say 2-3 days, I would then stop the idling copy job, reconfigure the copy interval to say 2 days, reset the copy interval and restart the job again.
By repeating this, I would arrive at the smallest RPO for our backup copies.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Backup Copy's 'copy interval' reset

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you tried to restart the console/service? Also please take a look at the article that describes how to utilize an existing backup in order to create another backup copy job.

Thank you.
dmitri-va
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dmitri

Post by dmitri-va »

which service or services in particular and what's the reason I should try to restart them? Are you saying I should be able to reset the 'copy interval' for the backup copy jobs?
I am now beyond what the article you referred to describes. I already have an initial seeding done using a long copy interval. Now my goal is to keep shrinking that copy interval until I get the smallest copy interval while making sure there is enough time to copy backups over our WAN links.
My problem is if I shorten the copy interval of an existing backup copy job and disable/reenable that job, it just sits there saying 'waiting for new restore points'. I know where are new restore point available as we have daily backups, so I'm guessing the backup copy job still waiting for the original 'copy interval' to expire. If there was a way to reset that times, the copy job would have started copying immediately.
I know I can trigger the immediate copy by seleting 'sync now' option for that job, however this start with a smaller copy interval (up to 24 hours) depending on your 'copy start' setting and when you actually triggered 'sync now'.
So, to simplify, I'd like to be able to do 'sync now' like option on a copy job, but so it would use the 'copy interval' I set.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There's no need to restart services. When you start the synchronization process manually using the Sync Now command, the current interval is finished, the new short interval starts that lasts until the time specified as the beginning of the interval. Then, the new interval setting (7 days) comes into effect. The first "short" synchronization interval will finish with the job fail, however data transfer will be resumed during the next interval.