Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dahoove
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: DAVID GLAZEWSKI

Backup device suggestions

Post by dahoove »

Getting ready to submit my Cap Ex requests for next fiscal. One item I want to replace is my old ISCSI Drobo device that I use for secondary backup that sits in a different building we have. I am looking at a Synology 1U NAS type device but I am hoping to find something that I can make immutable backup on which unless something has changed in the past year or so isn't possible on most nas devices. Since all I have in the little secure IT closet is small wall mounted rack I need something 1 or 2 U in size that doesn't need to be direct connected to pc/server. Look at 84tb of space but would like something I can expand. This device and these backups are really more archival backups than DR so immutability is more of a desire than a need. I already have a couple weeks of current backups on immutable storage.
Is there some magical device out there or do I just drop the immutability and go with the NAS.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup device suggestions

Post by Mildur »

Hi David

Welcome to the forums.
We don't recommend common NAS Storage as a backup repository. Our recommendation is to use a physical server with internal disks. That's also the only way to get 99.9999% immutability when used as a Linux hardened repository.
Also, the performance and stability of the data will be much better. If it's for archive purposes, I would make sure that the data doesn't get corrupted over time. So a physical server with a good enterprise Raid Controller would be the first thing to think of.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
joachimeberhard
Enthusiast
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Joachim Eberhard

Re: Backup device suggestions

Post by joachimeberhard » 1 person likes this post

Have you considered a Tape drive like Ultrium LTO-8?

Nothing is more immutable than several different tapes with physical write protection in your company safe...

I use it for my company and it works great with Veeam.