Backup files not deleted according to retention policy

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Backup files not deleted according to retention policy

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed May 16, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Aaron, how many VRB/VIB/VBK files do you have in the backup repository?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm

One of them has 37 vib/vbk files
arsprod
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed May 16, 2012 2:08 pm

If you have only one VBK file then it explains why the whole previous backup chain has not been removed yet.

You need to wait till the number of available restore points satisfies the configured retention policy settings, after that you will have 14 restore points present on the datastore for jobs using reversed incremental backup mode.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Wed May 16, 2012 2:24 pm

OK, so then if i set retention days to 1 then when it hits 14 restore points it will delete everything else?
arsprod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Seems like you're mixing up with the Deleted VMs retention period, which is a separate setting.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, thought they were related. What I'm understanding is that now that it's set for reverse incrementals, when it gets to number of restore points it will delete anything older then 14 + 1 (1 day to retain deleted files). I'm I incorrect?
arsprod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Retention policy determines the number of restore points (not days), so the retention policy will be applied once the number of available restore points reaches 15 (only 14 points will be kept).
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Wed May 16, 2012 4:37 pm

right, sorry - I only run backups once a day. thanks
arsprod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby dbrewood » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 am

Case ID: 00872102

Looks like I'm joining the club. We are using incremental backup with the system set to keep 6 restore points on disk. However over the weekend we've now grown top 3 x 960gb VBK files as well as the daily VIB files (circa 10gb each) and have now run out of disk space (2.5Tb reserved). Ideally we wish to keep 2 full VBK files on disk and the incrementals. We need to know how to achieve the best configuration.

From what I can tell from the way our installation consultant set the system forward incremental is being used, with no synthetic generation being carried out.
dbrewood
Novice

Full Name: Daron Brewood

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:16 am

Daron, with forward incremental mode, depending on your schedule, you can have more restore points on disk than you've specified in the job setting.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dbrewood » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Yeah I've been reading hard and come to that conclusion. I've worked with our consultant and we've given the disk another 1Tb of SAN storage and we'll see if it cleans up tonight. We're working on the basic that VEEAM failed to create the third full backup properly due to lack of disk space and as that failed it did not clear out the initial weeks full backup set (full & incrementals).

It does seem very difficult to achieve what we want which is a weekly full backup on a Friday night, followed by daily incremental backups Monday through to Thursday, that to repeat for a second week and then on the third week the initial backup set be deleted and a fresh one created.

The consultant setting retention to 6 does not make sense and that is what I guess is throwing me. I could see it being 2 (as in 2 full backups) or 10 (2 full sets of 1 full backup and 4 incrementals) - whereas 6 seems somewhat in the middle.

It's not helped that with our old VEEAM system the retention figure was set to 2 and that did work to maintain a weekly full backup on a Friday night, followed by daily incremental backups Monday through to Thursday.

It all seems highly illogical :)

I've spent all day reading VEEAM KB files and the manual and I'm still no wiser as to what we should set as a configuration to get what we need or how to validate that 6 figure to be correct.

I'm quite happy to share all our config date if anyone can solve the mystery :)
dbrewood
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:41 pm

What is probably confusing is that whether you set it to 2 or 6 the result is still the same, as the chain continues until the new full is created on Friday. This is just how forward incremental mode works (no way to delete old restore points until the number of restore points in the new chain reaches the specified setting). Basically, it is up to you how far back in time you need to be able to recover and Veeam B&R just ensures you always have at least that number of restore points. If you want to have forward chain with fixed number of restore points on disk, consider using forever forward incremental mode.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dbrewood » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:46 pm

From what you are showing in that link that is how we are set apart from we have it also set to create an active full backup on a Friday night, like this.
dbrewood
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Yep, enabling either synthetic or active full, switches Veeam B&R to a forward incremental backup mode.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dbrewood » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:49 pm

So we are set correctly then, therefore could it have just been that it did not have enough disk space to do the creation of the third full backup file prior to deleting the first backup set?
dbrewood
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication