Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Backup infrastructure redesign question

Post by StephanF »

Hi,

after upgrading to V12 I am planning to restructure our backup job design to get more security and want to ask you for some feedback if my ideas make sense. In the past we did our backups first to an internal disk array of the backup server and from there duplicated to tape. Backup size is about 40 Hyper-V VMs (15TB, all in one backup job) and about 30 agents on critical workstations.

My plan would look like:
  • First backup to a disk repository of "fast" disks directly attached to the physical backup server.
    ReFS for fast cloning, Short retention time (14 days?)
    Main purpose is to run SureBackup from here or spin up VMs directly from the latest backups for testing or in case of disaster
  • Backup copy job(s) from running in continuous mode which copy all backups to a Scale-Out repository
    This Scale-out Repository will have a Hardened Repository which slower but bigger drives as Performance Tier and a Wasabi cloud storage with immutability as Capacity Tier. Upload Policy will be "Copy".
    My idea is to have all backups stored asap in two different and secure locations. The Scale-our Repository should be the protection from cyber attacks and disasters on one hand and act as a long time archive (GFS retention) on the other hand.
  • Instead of one big job, Backup (copy) jobs will be split depending on the needed archival time of the VMs and have different GFS retention settings. Some will have shorter retention (months) because they just need disaster recovery while others will be archived for several years.
Does this design make any sense?

Thanks for your feedback.
Stephan
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup infrastructure redesign question

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, sounds good. If different retentions are needed, then separate jobs make sense, yes.

Best regards,
Hannes