Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveVernon
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Vernon

Backup job copy across multiple external hard drives

Post by DaveVernon »

Hi,

I'm a new Veeam user (and loving it!) and we are considering replacing our aging (EOL) tape library. We want to have offline backups and can't afford cloud storage costs.

Tape works well for us, but if we have to replace our tape library we are thinking about USB/removable hard drives. I know that Veeam can handle this, and I've read about the 'rotated drive' option in advanced properties, but what I haven't explicitly seen is weather or not it will work to write across multiple hard drives for the same job.

Basically, can I create a "set" of 3 X 2TB external drives in order to backup a job with 8TB of data? Or does the external drive have to be => job capacity?

Assuming I can create a set, does the job just pause and wait for me to insert the new drive?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup job copy across multiple external hard drives

Post by veremin »

Basically, can I create a "set" of 3 X 2TB external drives in order to backup a job with 8TB of data?
Nope, as one drive must be capable of hosting at least one .vbk (full backup).

As to cloud storage, have you considered using "Service Provider lookup" to find a service provider which offer suites you most?

Thanks.
DaveVernon
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Vernon

Post by DaveVernon »

Thanks for the definitive answer.

I have used the tool, but of course no one listed any pricing information anywhere. From what I've seen it's going to be out of our price range. I wish I had a way to get pricing without having to reach out to them all. I've read there can be quite a variance in pricing as well.. (Which is either good or bad, depending on your point of view)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

From what I've seen it's going to be out of our price range.
It still stands to reason to contact several SPs just to confirm that. As you've stated properly, prices vary indeed. So, if one offer doesn't suite, it doesn't necessarily mean that the other one will not be appropriate.

As to your original question, either make sure that one drive is capable of hosting at least one full .vbk or split existing job into smaller jobs and point those to different drives (that have repository roles assigned to them).

Thanks.