Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sadaf.khan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Muhammad Sadaf Khan Ullah Khan Suri

Backup Job is taking to much time of SAN based hosed VMs

Post by sadaf.khan »

Almost four machines are attached with SAN but my Veeam backup Server is running on Physical desktop machine(It is not directly connected with SAN through HBA). Backups are performed by default backup proxy and option is selected on "Automatic selection". Transfer rate of backup job could not exceeded 4 MB.

In second scenario, when i performed same backup jobs for that Virtual Machines which are hosted on Physical Core i5 Desktop machine( In which SATA disks are installed and Software RAID are also not configured) Backups are performed smoothly with transfer rate 30 MB.
I have verified network side at my end. everything is fine. Veeam Backup Server & SAN based attached host machines are also in same switch.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Job is taking to much time of SAN based hosed VMs

Post by foggy »

Muhammad, am I correctly understand that you have physical backup server and backup VMs residing on the same host on SAN (first scenario) and on host's local storage (second scenario) using the network mode? In both cases Veeam B&R will use network stack to pull the VM data from the source storage so the only difference between those scenarios is storage performance.

Also, is CBT enabled in both cases? If CBT is not working in the first case, this could also cause a performance drop.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1931 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Backup Job is taking to much time of SAN based hosed VMs

Post by dellock6 »

Muhammad, I understood your first situation is having a physical Veeam proxy without direct connection to the SAN. In this case you end up using network mode, and depending on the underlying hardware specifications, you could even see those poor numbers.
I've not clearly understood the second scenario however...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1