Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Andanet
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Antonio

Backup job recover encryption password

Post by Andanet »

Hi all,
I need to configure a S3 bucket on another VBR server. Added as backup repository. Whe I start import backups in first step wizard Veeam wants encryption key but our customer haven't stored it. How can I recover this password? with https://www.veeam.com/kb4349 I can recover all credentials but not "MAnaged Password". Is possible to do this?
Thanks
Antonio aka Andanet D'Andrea
Backup System Engineer Senior at Sorint.lab ¦ VMCE2021-VMCA2022 | VEEAM Legends 2023 | VEEAM VUG Italian Leader ¦
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2327 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup job recover encryption password

Post by Mildur »

Hi Andanet

Access can be restored with the Password Loss Protection Feature of the enterprise manager.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Without the encryption key or Password Loss Protection feature you won‘t be able to access the backup data.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Andanet
Service Provider

Post by Andanet »

Ehi Fabian,
thanks for your reply as usual :P
after configuring S3 bucket I can't see vm backup file so I need to import... is correct? In this step I need to insert the key.
Backup System Engineer Senior at Sorint.lab ¦ VMCE2021-VMCA2022 | VEEAM Legends 2023 | VEEAM VUG Italian Leader ¦
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Correct. For Buckets used as a capacity tier, you must provide the encryption key when importing an encrypted capacity tier.
Or is it a direct to object storage bucket?

Please also note, that importing capacity tier to another backup server can only be done to DR tests. You must set the capacity tier into maintenance mode on the original server. Otherwise the backup data may get corrupted.

Best,
Fabian
Andanet
Service Provider

Post by Andanet »

For Buckets used as a capacity tier, you must provide the encryption key when importing an encrypted capacity tier.
Or is it a direct to object storage bucket?
It is used as direct ObjStor
Please also note, that importing capacity tier to another backup server can only be done to DR tests. You must set the capacity tier into maintenance mode on the original server. Otherwise the backup data may get corrupted.
Yeo only for restore test without backup to avoid metadata changes.
Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

If you connect the direct Object Storage repository to a new backup server, the new server will take ownership of the bucket.
Backup Jobs on the original server will stop working.

There is an unsupported workaround to get ownership back on the original server. Just click through the properties of the object storage repository again to take ownership back. But it's not tested.
I don't recommend it to run such tests until we have a supported method.

Best,
Fabian