Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JoeyJoJo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joseph Bonello

Backup Job Setup

Post by JoeyJoJo »

Was wondering if someone could help me out, as I'm not sure what's the best way to approach this.

I want the ability to backup incremental every hour from 8am till 6pm then perform a full backup at 7pm (this is to disk) then once the full backup is complete back that up to tape. This needs to run from Monday through to Friday, what's the best way to attack this?

Would it be worthwhile looking at using synthetic full backups?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Job Setup

Post by veremin »

Haven't you thought about using reversed incremental mode, instead of forward incremental one? From my perspective, you need to have:

1) Backup job. Reversed incremental mode. Scheduled to run every one hour. Plus, backup window that allows job execution only from 8am to 7pm.
2) Backup to tape job. Scheduled to run as new backup file appears. Plus, backup window that allows job execution only from 7pm to 8am.

With reversed incremental mode the latest backup is always a full one. So, the backup job will run on hourly basis within allowed time interval (8am - 7pm). Then, after 7 pm the backup to tape job will take place and copying the latest backup file that is the full backup (as I've described already).

Of course, your goal is achievable with forward incremental mode, as well. However, daily full backup is likely to consume a lot of space, and soon enough you will run out of space.

Thanks.