Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
El-Diablo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eldridge Nel

Backup Job - Synthetic full and health check takes days

Post by El-Diablo »

Hi,

I have a 2 x VM's in 2 different sites that has 21TB of Data that I am trying to backup. Incrementals are fine, however the Synthetic Full and Health Checks take forever to complete. Health Check takes up to 8 days to complete and Synthetic Full about the same time.

Infrastructure:
Vsphere Esxi 6.0.0
Veeam 9.5 - 9.5.0.1536
EMC Fibre attached Storage for Vmware Environment

Windows Veeam Proxy with ISCSi attached Volume on a Qnap device
Qnap TS-EC24800 with 10GB physical connection
100 TB Qnap that is split up into 2 volumes on the Windows Proxy with Dedupe enabled.

I have opened up a case with Veeam Support ( 03230865) but we not really making any progress in speeding up the backups.

Even though it is a lot of data - the SAN device and infrastructure should be able to handle this and not have performance issues?

E.
ctg49
Enthusiast
Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Chris Garlington

Re: Backup Job - Synthetic full and health check takes days

Post by ctg49 »

We ran into the same issue. NTFS is phenomenally slow at the synth transforms, and yes, it will take days (it was taking us like 50hrs with 'only' ~3TB). As lovely as that dedupe is, you either need to take periodic fulls that get crunched down, or lift & shift to ReFS.

I'm hoping that with Win2019 we'll get that holy grail of ReFS + dedupe functioning correctly (unless I can convince the powers that be to buy a dedupe appliance).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Both operations are very I/O intensive while your storage isn't able to provide the required I/O performance. Besides, the backup file is pretty large, to say nothing about the need to dehydrate deduplicated data.
El-Diablo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eldridge Nel

Post by El-Diablo »

Thanks Guys... I think i need to rethink the Architecture of how the backups is setup.