Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Backup Job with Attached Backup Copy Job

Post by bunger »

I am running a trial version of Veeam 7. The goal is to back up about 7 VMs to an internal disk and then copy the latest backups to a rotating ( removable ) hard drive for offsite. It looks like the Backup Job and Backup Copy Job are the ticket.

However, it appears that I can only schedule the Backup Copy Job for a specific time when I would rather somehow chain the two jobs together to maximize time efficiencies. For example, I ideally would like the Backup Copy Job to simply run when the associated Backup Job is complete. Is this not possible?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
bunger
Expert

Re: Backup Job with Attached Backup Copy Job

Post by bunger » 1 person likes this post

Ignore this request. I just took the time to actually read the manual and figured it out.

I had the copy interval set to 1 day, but am running multiple backups to test. It had already fulfilled its daily requirement. Changing it to 1 hour caused it to kick off and run, which is what I needed for testing. Pretty slick stuff.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Glad the documentation came useful. Please note that if you are planning to copy to a rotating hard drive, you will need to use the ForceCreateMissingVBK registry key, or the job will be erroring out failing to find existing backups. However, this registry key may not work correctly with Backup Copy job in certain scenarios. You can obtain the hot fix for this from our support (requires that you have 7.0 R2 installed).
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

Gostev,

We will definitely be backing up the secondary to a swappable drive. I just installed the R2 patch. How do I obtain the hotfix?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Bill, all hotfixes can be obtained through our technical support team. Thanks!
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

I just spoke with support and they don't know about a hotfix?!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Probably the particular guy you were talking to was not aware of the fix for some reason. You can escalate the case to get it.

Please also review this thread discussing the rotated drives scenario for some valuable considerations: v7 Backup Copy Job removable media (rotated drives).
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

Good to go. thanks!