Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yrrah2010
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup Jobs & Deduplication

Post by yrrah2010 »

Currently i am testing a backup job with 4 virtual servers with almost 8TB data, i want to run this job on a hourly base.
Is it possible to backup servers at the same time in the same job? If not I can create 4 seperate jobs, but then i cannot use the advance of data deduplication?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Jobs & Deduplication

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

For the concurrent VMs processing you need to configure multiple backup jobs. As for the dedupe engine, then that's correct, you would get higher deduplication ratio if you group similar VMs into one job, however deduplication depends on various factors. In other words even if you place just a single VM into the job you might still have pretty good deduplication and compression numbers.

Should more details and information be required please take a look at our sticky F.A.Q. and our deduplication whitepaper which is located on our website.

Thanks.
yrrah2010
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by yrrah2010 »

In Veeam there's per-job deduplication, is it possible to change this to global deduplication? Because all the backups are on the same volume.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Global deduplication is not possible. Have you considered using dedupe appliances for storing your backup files? If you search the forums you will find that there are lots of existing discussions on this theme.