Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bct44
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times

backup jobs stuck and no error

Post by bct44 »

Hello everyone,

It's the second time in six months we have backup jobs stuck during backup windows. Jobs are in loop at 0% progress, they are not going in error. this is problematic because during a weekend it does not trigger alarms for the person on call. I only have basic manual check (5mins) during l2 routine during the weekdays.
Error messages on all jobs:
Polling scale-out backup repository extents

Well it was detected by DBA team because RMAN jobs were falling and it raised alarms on monitoring tools. It was resolved by l2 team by rebooting the VBR.

Does it exist a parameter to put in timeout when backup jobs are stuck like my example?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: backup jobs stuck and no error

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The first idea that comes to me is Backup Window. Did you try it?

Thanks!
bct44
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times

Post by bct44 »

Hello Petr, thank for the idea! Why not i will give it a try but i'm not sure it's normal the jobs is still stuck and does not fall in error for example after 12h or 24h.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

I think we need to find out the root cause of the described behavior before we start thinking about potential improvements. Once we clearly understand what's going on, we'll decide on a setting (should be reg key) that forcibly aborts an operation that is stuck in your case. Most likely it's related to the logic of SOBR extents selection, but let's wait for the results of research from our engineers. I'll ask our support team leaders to pay attention to your case.

Thanks!