Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Craqcatoa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Ramirez

Backup Jobs

Post by Craqcatoa »

Hello, i am quite new to this software and have been encountering some issues. I was assigned to keep a lookout on backups, there are a total of three backup jobs, these backup jobs are premade and i think they should be changed since they have been failing when creating synthetic backup files and not backing up between the allowed time lapse. I want to see if changing the jobs might help the backup process. Here are the jobs
Job 1:
Virtual machine 1 197Gb
Virtual machine 2 300Gb
Virtual machine 3 480.2Gb
Virtual machine 4 82.8Gb
Virtual machine 5 46.5Gb
Virtual machine 6 36.3Gb
Virtual machine 7 45.5Gb
Virtual machine 8 92.4Gb
Runs everyday at 9pm with no synthetic backups for the moment and a backup copy job every day at 1am

Job 2:
Virtual machine 1 179.8Gb
Virtual machine 2 79.4Gb
Virtual machine 3 94.7Gb
Virtual machine 4 315.2Gb
Virtual machine 5 180Gb
Virtual machine 6 181.2Gb
Virtual machine 7 67.9Gb
Virtual machine 8 27Gb
Virtual machine 9 39.2Gb
Runs everyday at 11PM with no synthetic backups for the moment and a backup copy job every day at 4am

Job 3:
Virtual machine 1 29Gb
Virtual machine 2 82Gb
Runs everyday at 1AM with no synthetic backups for the moment and a backup copy job every day at 3am

My first guess is to change the time lapse between jobs, instead of giving them 2 hours between jobs change it to three hours and change the time for the backup copy jobs. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :D
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Jobs

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jonathan and welcome to the community!
Have you disabled synthetic full? Did it fail just because of time shortage for the synthetic transformation?
You may re-schedule the jobs, but I would start from your goal. Do you want to have full backups or keep using forever forward backup method?
How long do the incremental runs take?
Thanks!
Craqcatoa
Novice

Post by Craqcatoa »

Hello, thanks!!
Yes i have disabled synthetic full for the moment because it did take lots of time to complete the synthetic IF it did because most of the times it would last for days, start from a Saturday and complete or fail on a Thursday.
My goal is to have full backups since forever forward, i would have to create full backups manually correct?
And incremental runs don't take that much 1 or 2 hours tops.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

My goal is to have full backups since forever forward, i would have to create full backups manually correct?
Correct. But why do you need full backups periodically? If the reason is recoverability (to start a new chain), synthetic full will not help.

In general, for recoverability, it`s recommended to use Surebackup or periodic active fulls.

In both cases you don't need to reschedule the jobs.
Craqcatoa
Novice

Post by Craqcatoa »

Perfect, i will give it a go with periodic active full backups and let you know how it went, thanks so much! :)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

No problem. If you have questions, don't hesitate asking.