Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dprescutti
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Prescutti

backup of replica with second Veeam server

Post by dprescutti »

I may have missed this somewhere in the posts, but I can't seem to see figure out if this scenario will work. I have a mandate to have a local backup with retention scheme in each site for all "Live" hosts, regardless of location. I'm most concerned about being able to backup a replica at a remote site with an alternate backup server. This would eliminate the need to replicate data over the wan twice (once for the replica with Veeam and once for the backup data using Rsync or san replication). Does this look possible?

Site1:

-live backup server for local san mode backups
-standby backup server to deal with replica rollback of vm's replicated from Site2
-replica on LAN for local HA of specific VM's
-replica in Site2 for DR for specific VM's
-replicate sql database backup to remote site to restore to standby Veeam server for consistency of replicas in remote site in case of Site1 failure.
-backup jobs to local disk for VM's including replicas of hosts replicated from Site 2

Site2:

-live backup server for local san mode backups
-standby backup server to deal with replica rollback of vm's replicated from Site1
-replica on LAN for local HA of specific VM's
-replica in Site1 for DR of specific VM's
-replicate sql database backup to remote site to restore to standby Veeam server for consistency of replicas in remote site in case of Site1 failure.
-backup jobs to local disk for VM's including specific replicas of hosts replicated from Site 1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: backup of replica with second Veeam server

Post by Gostev »

Hello Dave, it is possible to backup replicas, but only with change block tracking disabled in the advanced job settings. This is because changed block tracking does not pickup external modifications to VMDK files.